Ideas for inverter to run small refrigerator

Hoping someone can give me some advice on this issue. We recently purchased a 2019 Mallard M32 travel trailer. Unlike our previous trailer, it does not have an inverter. It was my understanding the inverter mainly operated the residential frig when in transit. This Mallard has the standard gas/ electric main frig but also has a small frig in the outdoor kitchen that only operates on AC when you are plugged into shore power. I would like to run that frig while in transit so we don't have to continually unload/ reload and restock that frig. My first thought was to install xantrex prowatt 2000 or 1500 watt inverter and add another battery. Then run an ac line in conduit along the frame back to the rear frig and install a dedicated outlet strictly for the frig. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.
Ducktrapper AKA Phil

jbeletti

Phil,

Your idea is sound. Yes to the second battery.

Even a 1000 watt inverter will be more than enough. Heartland uses the Magnum CSW1012 for their larger residential refrigerators.
LINK
51a+5yt3kZL._SL1000_.jpg

You "can" power the refer fulltime from the inverter or you can install a small transfer switch so refer switches to shore power when available. Heartland often uses a Kisae model similar to this:
LINK
71sCVBCoJ-L._SL1500_.jpg

Or the Magnum branded model:
LINK

61chr8ymHYL._SL1000_.jpg

Jim
Thanks for your advice. It has given me the confidence to move forward with this project. And, also thanks for the links to inverters and switches.
Phil

jbeletti

Sure thing Phil. There are a number ways to approach this project in terms of equipment selection. What I gave you are just some ideas.

Think through your goals to determine your requirements and make selections based on that. Consider your needs up to 5 years out and consider building in some additional options or capacity. Have fun with this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

Inverters are pretty in-efficient when they convert the DC to AC. Its going to hit those batteries pretty hard.

MCTalley

Our first Big Country had an outdoor kitchen with a mini-fridge in it (dorm sized). We debated on several different scenarios of powering it while on the road but eventually found that even after an 8-9 hour travel day, the inside of the fridge was still sufficiently cold when we arrived at our next stop and plugged into shore power. We even put our lunch stuff out there and opened it a couple times mid-day to fix our lunch.

Not saying having it powered while in transit is a bad idea, but just throwing our experience out there for you.

Nightshifter

I have a 2017 Charleston with the small fringe in the rear outside compartment. I just added a 400 watt inverter and a separate circuit to run it while we are traveling. I used the inverter with an automatic transfer switch. The set up works great634424F9-2972-4A7B-BF35-4E2700C2D56B.jpgD51437EB-2735-496B-9A6C-FA44E932D21B.jpg634424F9-2972-4A7B-BF35-4E2700C2D56B.jpgD51437EB-2735-496B-9A6C-FA44E932D21B.jpg