Small Leak from Windows

bkline310

Hi all,

I have a 2018 Cyclone 4270. Love the thing but having a problem with the windows. Its Manson season here in Arizona. We were doing fine for most of it except 2 storms. These 2 storms had 2 common factors. Heavy rain (I mean it dumped and flooded the place in minutes) and heavy wind.

When these 2 storms hit I have a slow leak from my windows. At first (After the first storm) I thought it was blowing in from the weep holes due to the amount of dirt and water collection being on the bottom of the railing. OK no big deal for now wait til its not 100 degrees outside to look at it.

That brings me to storm #2 which happened last night. Same thing but noticed water running down (can't seem to see where from the top) the the window (again very very slow leak but add that to whats in railing its enough to start overflowing to cause it to run down the walls.)

Note: Under normal rain with no to little wind there is no leaking what so ever.

Trailer is still under warranty but I'm in it full time and Highly doubt they (Heartland) will pay for a mobile tech to come look at it. So I was gonna ask for them the ship parts (if needed). So which brings me to my question is, where do you guys think the water is coming from? I'm in the east Valley in Arizona. Mold doesn't show up often unless its trapped moisture which in this case I'm worried about water in the walls.

I'm hoping its a quick easy fix. I rather not take out the whole window and redo the seal/caulk. (Which I wonder if I could get Heartland to pay for Caulking (joking))

danemayer

If you call Heartland for prior approval, they'll usually authorize mobile servicers after checking their accreditation. You'll have to pay the service/travel charge, but that's often lower cost than hauling your rig to a dealer. And it's way better than dropping the trailer off and coming back after a few weeks.

You can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Brenmar

I had the same problem with my two windows on either side of my couch, I sealed the top of each window and about a third of the way down on each side. I have not had any problems since and have been in many heavy rains.

Lou_and_Bette

I had a window that had a similar leak. I fixed it by tightening, using a #2 square bit, the screws across the top of the window. I didn’t really crank down on the screws, just snugged them up a bit. I also had a small bedroom window leak on our RW that drove me crazy trying to figure out where the leak was coming from. Turned out, it was leaking when rain was heavy because the water running down the bedroom slide outer wall took a funny turn and was hitting below where the factory had sealed down the side of the frame (only about half way.). I ran caulk further down the frame, around the bottom, but left a space for seepage if it was necessary. That fixed that leak but the only way I found it was by standing outside in the downpour to see this diversion of the run off. Both were simple fixes that you might try before any drastic fixes. I believe I remember someone else on the forum talking about a window leak that was caused by the window gasket being twisted on install...they had to remove part of the frame and reseat the gasket.

bkline310

Thanks for the replies. I noticed my windows only have sealant from the the top to maybe 2 inches down. The rest of the window I can pretty much put my finger nail or decent size screw driver in between the wall and window. Is this normal?

I was thinking of getting some RV sealant and just doing the whole window and that seems like it would fix my issue. (Like I said heavy rain + wind only time it leaks. This last rain fall was heavy but no real wind 0 leaks).

I will try the screws and some rv sealant before calling someone.

rhodies1

Leave a section at the bottom of the window open with no sealant to allow any potential water intrusion a place to run.Seal down the sides and around the bottom corners and stop.

wdk450

I have seen TV commercials for the clear rubber spray sealant (Flex Seal or Rust-Oleum Leak Seal) where they were spraying around the window/sidewall interface on RV's.

rhodies1

I personally wouldn’t use the flex spray,purchase proper RV sealant and apply a nice small smooth bead using a caulking gun.

bkline310

Alright update.

So another storm came through and windows leaked again. This time I have pictures.

One window has me more concerned than the rest. Its the 2nd to last window on the back driver side. (Part of the big pair windows for the garage) Its leaking from between the frame and the wall.. Not even the window.. Tells me the window either A has a bad seal which means its gotta come out. Or B. One the outside this window has an extra rain drain or something above it that's not sealed up. (Will post photo when I get back to the trailer)

20180823_211045.jpg

Then the window behind the one mentioned above (So the last window on the drivers side) has a drip that comes from the very top of the window frame. I will have a photo of that as well added.

I will post all pictures showing what I mean from my very first post til now.

20180823_210915.jpg

Also I noticed a few of the screws (someone mentioned try to tighten them which I did) where striped (Needed the biggest screw driver I owned to even turn it) and second some just spun as if not actually threaded onto something (only a few seemed like 1 or 2 per window).

Here is the photo of the slide window gap I mentioned (That's my truck key I was able to fit in there just fine).
20180824_063436.jpg

wdk450

If your windows seem to be well sealed, I wonder if this is roof leak water working its way down the framing and coming out near the windows? You may want to have your RV professionally leak tested. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQ-cJWGY-o Here is a link to their vendor locations: http://www.sealtechleaktesting.com/

Be aware that water leaks in an RV is a SERIOUS threat to the life of the RV. The water starts dry rot of the framing and sheet wood panels.

bkline310

If your windows seem to be well sealed, I wonder if this is roof leak water working its way down the framing and coming out near the windows? You may want to have your RV professionally leak tested. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQ-cJWGY-o Here is a link to their vendor locations: http://www.sealtechleaktesting.com/

Be aware that water leaks in an RV is a SERIOUS threat to the life of the RV. The water starts dry rot of the framing and sheet wood panels.

I understand that which is why I'm trying to get it fixed. That video shows something that would be nice to able to rent out for even homes.