Onstar wifi

george637

Our truck came with the onstar wifi equipment, but we have not activated it. Has anyone had experience using onstar wifi, and if so, how was the connectivity?

George & Linda
Along with Patches (Wire-haired fox terrier) & Licorice (Goldendoodle)
2016 Bighorn 3270rs

VisitedStatesMap copy.jpg
Bighorn & Silverado.jpg

Garypowell

We had it for about a month when our 2015 was new and it seemed ok but dropped it due to expense.

We we had a fellow camper next to us recently that had one of those $20 a month gagits that hooked to a cars data port (Cant think of the official name) with a 110 adapter and he said it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Others will I’ll chime in with that devices name soon.

george637

We had it for about a month when our 2015 was new and it seemed ok but dropped it due to expense.

We we had a fellow camper next to us recently that had one of those $20 a month gagits that hooked to a cars data port (Cant think of the official name) with a 110 adapter and he said it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Others will I’ll chime in with that devices name soon.

Thanks for this info. I was also looking at a gadget that boosts cell phone signals, but thought the onstar system would work just as well, and we would not have to use our cell phone data to connect to the internet. It's always good to have feedback from folks who have actually used the product. I appreciate the feedback.

cjb2283

WiFi works great when you have cell signal. Super expensive. Since it works off of cell service, its just as good as using your phone. I used it for a few months back when we didn't have unlimited data through our cell phone carrier. Now that we have unlimited data, paying for the WiFi is not worth it at all.

jerryjay11

Used OnStar wifi until I figured the cost wasn't it since I couldn't use it in the camper. Instead I use my Verizon MiFi and get the say benefit without the extra cost. I can use the MiFi in the camper, truck, at the house, or anywhere I can receive the Verizon signal. I can also link to my cell, but rather keep that for any incoming calls.

Geodude

We have it in ours, thought we'd give 'er a go. We bought the 20 GB/one year plan that cost $200. Our main reason is that roaming fees are way too high in the US now so what we do now is put our phones on airplane mode at the border and use the truck's wifi instead of cell service. Works great. We also do a lot of music streaming and use it for that, again when in the US or if we are running low on data on our cell plans at home (which is rare, we have a lot of data).

It does seem to do better at grabbing a signal than just a cell phone. We're heading to someplace super remote next month so that will be the big test.

GM seems to be going a bit crazy monetizing various OnStar plans and services. I'm not going to pay for most of it, these trucks cost enough and the last thing I want is to have monthly OnStar payments. IMO the cost/benefit just isn't there.

george637

We have it in ours, thought we'd give 'er a go. We bought the 20 GB/one year plan that cost $200. Our main reason is that roaming fees are way too high in the US now so what we do now is put our phones on airplane mode at the border and use the truck's wifi instead of cell service. Works great. We also do a lot of music streaming and use it for that, again when in the US or if we are running low on data on our cell plans at home (which is rare, we have a lot of data).

It does seem to do better at grabbing a signal than just a cell phone. We're heading to someplace super remote next month so that will be the big test.

GM seems to be going a bit crazy monetizing various OnStar plans and services. I'm not going to pay for most of it, these trucks cost enough and the last thing I want is to have monthly OnStar payments. IMO the cost/benefit just isn't there.

This is great information. Good to know that it works great and it's better at picking up a signal than a cell phone. I'd be interested in knowing how it works in the super remote places. Please let me know. Thanks! Happy travels.