Tank sensors but mostly black tank

Does anyone have a solution to cleaning a black tank and getting the sensor cleaned also? Tank reads full all the time even right after emptying have already soaked it once with Tank Blaster for 2 days and still didn't clear it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

PondSkum

multiple flushes. dump, fill with clean water to almost completely full, dump, fill again almost full, dump, repeat about 3 - 4 times. If still not reading properly, fill about 2/3 with clean water, put in some cleaner (I think people recommend calgon?), take the trailer on a drive to slosh the clean water all around and help get any goo that's stuck on the walls to loosen up. Then return, dump, fill, dump a couple more times, and hopefully your sensors will be clean. When I'm packing up after a trip, I make sure I dump/fill/dump/fill at least 3 times before I unhook everything. Of course, make sure you aren't in a drought area or somewhere with restricted water use, as you are going to be wasting a lot of water.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The spin weld sensors they use are junk and probably won't clean up completely. Most of us rely on the toilet "burp" to determine when it's time to dump. With experience, you can tell by the sound of the flush when it's getting close. The "tone" will deepen a flush or three before it actually starts to burp. When it does, dump it or risk having to do it in the dark, in the rain, with thirsty mosquitoes using you for a buffet.

jerryjay11

I mix 2 cups calgon water softener, 1 cup laundry detergent, in a gallon of hot water after each dump. You could try that and fill the tank then run your rig down the road. Calgon helps the detergent to clean better. Do the same for the grey water tank without the detergent since the grey will have soapy water anyway. Depending on what laundry detergent you use you tank won't be so aromatic.

sengli

The method I have seen on some u tube videos, shows putting a bunch of ice cubes, and water... in the tank in question, and run it down the road a while to clean off the tanks inards. Of course the ice eventually melts so its easy to pass it. Ditto on the stock sensors usually being pretty un-reliable. The only only one our rig rig that is working is the fresh water.

Fox

I've Never Once been able to find Calgon locally so have resorted to using a laundry softener and liquid dish soap. I can't say its helped my sensors but I don't have any odor problems.
Dumps do result in a lot of suds.

Domi

If you have a straight drop into the tank I a jet washer that inserts from the top and force flushes the tanks sides and bottoms. It works well and the sensors are clean and show correct levels until it fills and something gets on them again. I view it as a never ending battle. I tend to flush it a couple of times a year just to clean everything out good then use the burp method the rest of the time. We are weekend warriors for the most part so it is really not as much an issue as for a full timer. For weekend trips I dump 3 to 4 two gallon buckets down the toilet staight into the tank to break up any poo prymid that is building. Usually after 3 buckets of water the water is running pretty clean outside without any or many chunks.

Good luck.

John

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Last edited:

jerryjay11

I've Never Once been able to find Calgon locally so have resorted to using a laundry softener and liquid dish soap. I can't say its helped my sensors but I don't have any odor problems.
I get my calgon from Walmart. You may want to check them out if you have one local.

- - - Updated - - -

The method I have seen on some u tube videos, shows putting a bunch of ice cubes, and water... in the tank in question, and run it down the road a while to clean off the tanks inards. Of course the ice eventually melts so its easy to pass it. Ditto on the stock sensors usually being pretty un-reliable. The only only one our rig rig that is working is the fresh water.
I also watched a youtube video that a guy made a test tank and placed it in the back of his pickup then drove erratically around town to see how well this would work. It on the most part did no do so well. One problem with this theory is your tank sensors are at different levels so you would have to fill the tank at different levels so to reach the sensors.

I feel the best method is prevention. That is why I use the calgon method.

redevil

Have mine soaking with water and dish soap for a week now and looks like the sensor is showing the proper level now, just have to flush it out again. Thinking I have to do this every other time or have water and dish soap in there when travelling back to slosh it around after a dump.

richheck

Seasoned Member

6EF8E786-5A7A-445D-9388-3E424F7261D1.jpgWalmart, either local or online.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Calgon powder has been discontinued for some time, although I was able to buy a case of 12 boxes a few years ago online. Down to my last box. I've seen the liquid in some stores, but why pay for water? The Borax product is similar, in that it's basically a water softener/surfactant. Although I was using the Geo mix, we are basically stationary for the summer, so it didn't get much agitation other than flushing, so it didn't do much for the sensors. Anymore, I'm using the drop in pouches and plenty of water with dumps about every 4 days. I'm currently using the RV Digest pods, which seem to be doing a good job of clearing the tank, along with about a 30 gallon black tank flush. So, the "burp" signal tone is what I listen for. If the tank's really full, you may even hear it gulping air via the vent pipe. When it does, your time is up.