Tread Separations on Maxxis, put on TowStar

On a recent trip I found tread separations on two of my Maxxis tires, on my trailer. Luckily we were in an RV park at the time so no damage. We went to the local Les Schwab store and took what they had, two TowStar tires, to get home. These would not have been my choice for replacements but because the Maxxis tires were less than 4 years old I wasn’t in the market for new ones yet, or so I thought. There seems to be little info out there on the TowStars, but Les Schwab has an excellent warranty on them, so I’m thinking of giving them a try. They also are rated for 81 mph. Anyone have any experience with TowStar tires, or would like to opine on the wisdom of keeping on using them? BTW, the trailer scales under its GVWR and I tow at no more than 62 mph. Thanks!

SNOKING

All trailer tire dealers will tell you that they have sold truck loads of brand XXX without issues. This appears to be just another china bomb tire. Probably was called something else last year.

The go to ST trailer tire now is the Goodyear Endurance. American made and a lot of development from a major tire manufacture. If I had a trailer that required poly carcass ST's that is what I would install.

Chris

Lynn1130

From what I see on TowStar's Web page they are made by TowMax. You may want to do a search of that name on this site. That may cause you to get them replace pretty quickly.

danemayer

Lynn,

I think the TowStar website is actually a Brand page maintained by TBC, the distributor. TBC has handled a large number of tire brands, including Towmax. But the only way to know if TowStar and Towmax are made by the same company and/or in the same manufacturing plant, is to look up the DOT codes that are stamped on the sidewall of each tire.

SNOKING

I will repeat my earlier statement. There is no reason to not purchase the new Goodyear Endurance ST tires if they have a size that matches your requirement. They many or may not cost a little more. Tires are to important to take chances and having one always looking back!!!!

No other ST tire comes from a company that is going to stand behind their product like GY with it's trailer tires.

Chris

I am going to check on the TowStar tire plant code today and will report back. The GY Endurance seems to be well liked but so are the Maxxis that failed. I know the GY Marathons were disliked by many.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Les Schwab sold Tow max and said they had no problems with them.[/QUOTE

Surely they wouldn't lie to you to sell a tire would they? Google towmax or blow max and rv and you will have weeks of reading blow out stories. Or you could ask Heartland why they are not putting them on their rv's anymore...

danemayer

TowStar plant code is 1A or
UNION RUBBER INDUSTRIES COMPANY, LTD
Taipei, Taiwan. I don’t know what the TowMax code is.
I don't remember the exact location, but Towmax came out of a company with a different name, with their plant located in central China.

Looks like I will put on a set of GY Endurance and use one of the TowStars as a spare. The GYs are load range D and 65 psi, rather than the 50 psi my current C rated tires have. I don’t know what psi my rims will take though because I have not found a mark on them to indicate their pressure rating. I saw a web site that had identical wheels to mine and it said they were 60 psi rated.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Looks like I will put on a set of GY Endurance and use one of the TowStars as a spare. The GYs are load range D and 65 psi, rather than the 50 psi my current C rated tires have. I don’t know what psi my rims will take though because I have not found a mark on them to indicate their pressure rating. I saw a web site that had identical wheels to mine and it said they were 60 psi rated.

That PSI mark should be on the inside of the wheel.

Also, if you go to higher pressure tires you may need to get higher pressure rated valve stems as well.

That PSI mark should be on the inside of the wheel.

Also, if you go to higher pressure tires you may need to get higher pressure rated valve stems as well.
Inside of the wheel as in the part on the outside which faces the underside of the trailer? Or on the rim where you would have to remove the tire to see it?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Inside of the wheel as in the part on the outside which faces the underside of the trailer? Or on the rim where you would have to remove the tire to see it?

On the inside of the wheel facing under the trailer toward the axles.