Just Avoided a Big Issue

relic57

As we are about to take our first really long journey with our 2017 big Country 3450, with only 600 miles on it, I decided to take it to the shop and have them look at the tires, brakes and wheel bearings. I am really glad I did, even though I had a few people tell me with only 600 miles not a lot to worry about.

This is what the mechanic found.

The front left wheel after the tire was removed was saturated and full of grease, the brake pad was infused with it. The grease seal was blown out and the whole brake assembly had to be replaced along with the seals. The mechanic said There was also a good goudge out of the axle part where this all meets and caused the seal to fail. Since I have not had the tires off this came from the factory like this.???? The other 3 wheels were looked at ,and there were three other seals broken. All four had been overloaded with grease, he said one wheel could have supplied all four with enough grease.????????

I guess i am just venting, but i will be writing a Letter to Heartland, outlining all this. As it is past war. I guess nothing will happen, but sure glad I had this checked out.

Any advise would be appreciated .

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if this information is of any use to you but the axle/brake assembly's come from somewhere other than Heartland. In your case probably Dexter.
Most complaints that I have read about bearings and grease is that there is never enough.
Kinda makes me wonder if your selling dealer might have tried to do you a favor by pumping grease into the bearings and unknowingly blowing out the seals.
Just a thought that comes to my mind.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I'm pretty sure Heartland mounts the axle/hub/brake assemblies just as they come from Dexter; they don't add grease, nor do they remove the hubs to check bearings.

NYSUPstater

I thought I had posted in detail last year the issue we had w/ out new coach in regards to the wheel bearings, but can't seem to locate that particular thread. Anyhow, when we had it inspected (per good ol NYS requirements which in this case was GOOD), it was discovered that 2 of the 4 wheel bearings were shot. Darn CRS at 715am, I cannot remember if they didn't have grease or were over greased, plus the end caps were smashed to beat all. Want to say that either just the 2 or 3 bearings were done. Work was done at our old dealer who doesn't sell HL, so it cost me $$ up front, but got reimbursed by HL/purchasing dealer.

Lil diggin..... from a wheel grease thread last year:

With NY, you have to have most registered vehicles inspected for hiway use. Took ours in couple weeks ago and good thing I did. 1st wheel they take off, seal comes off w/ it (not supposed to). Ask me what I want to do w/ the others. "Pull and check them " I replied. 2nd wheel, tho seal didn't come off, it looked questionable and the end grease cap was dented a lot like someone beat the tar out of it putting it on. This was just on 1 side. Wheels 3,4 were okay. So 2 seals were re-done and new grease cap put on. Contacted purchasing dealer who said I would get reimbursed the cost of repairs. I asked the tech who performed the inspection/work if it would have passed and he said "No". He went onto say that if we continued as it was for "X" time, very good chance seal(s) would have failed, grease end up on brakes and then bigger problems.

0616171439_resized.jpg

0616171504_resized.jpg

0616171504a_resized.jpg

0616171508_resized.jpg

0616171450_resized.jpg

0616171438_resized.jp

sengli

my elkridge fiver I bought new also had this same issue, the first time I took mine apart to service the bearings. I think the dealers service guys might have been the culprit though, as they said they checked bearings before delivery, which means they shot a bunch of grease in, thru the external zerk! My brake assemblies were also soaked with gobs of excess grease. Gee, no wonder I had no brakes on the trailer.

A friend of mine works at the dexter axle plant here in albion, IN... and I quizzed him on the grease thing. He said they actually put very little grease in the bearing assemblies, as there is a proven engineering fact that less is more.