Forgot to Drain Water Heater While Winterizing

FrontRangeTraveler

I didn't follow my checklist last fall and forgot to drain the water heater while winterizing. We've only had our Mallard M28 out twice this year so far due to work obligations, and I did't realize the error until we got back from our last trip. My wife and both had trouble with intermittent queasiness during and after the July trip, but for me that started before we left. I also disinfected the lines thoroughly when I de-winterized it back near Memorial Day. I just didn't do anything to the hot water heater.

I'm going to drain it before we head out next week for next trip, but should I try to disinfect it too? The Water Heater Usage Guide PDF mentions using vinegar and water to get rid of a sulphur/rotten egg smell, but we don't have that problem. I'm more concerned about it being clean.

Am I worrying to much about the cleanliness, since fresh water will flow into it after it's drained? From my reading on these forums, it seems most folks don't disinfect their water lines between trips, let alone the water heater, but I don't want to neglect something important.

Thanks.

Brad & Cathy

Fox

Other than the onboard water tank I've never worried about the cleanliness, I just run fresh water thru it.
If if don't kill me then it'll make me tougher.

Lynn1130

Some bacteria WILL kill you after a lengthy and painful stomach session. Not saying that you have that situation but somethings do not make you stronger before they do you in. Even if they do not kill you the intestinal issues will make you wish you were dead.

If you Google "sanitize and RV water system" it will give you some directions on how much chlorine to use per total RV system gallons. I fill the system with the chlorine/water mixture and allow it to sit for the recommended time. Then drain and refill for your trip.

Fox

Some bacteria WILL kill you after a lengthy and painful stomach session. Not saying that you have that situation but somethings do not make you stronger before they do you in. Even if they do not kill you the intestinal issues will make you wish you were dead.

Have you been talking to my bride?

FrontRangeTraveler

We never drink tap water, let alone any from the trailer. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It's more a concern for washing dishes and hand washing.

We always bring plenty of bottled water on every trip for drinking and cooking.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

ksucats

I always put a couple of cups of bleach in my fresh water tank, fill the tank with water and then use the pump to fill (or open a hot water faucet and 'refill') the water heater and all lines - this at the start of the season or when we have not used the coach for a while. We don't drink the water from the coach (bottled water used) and there have been a few times when washing dishes / even showering / where we have smelled the chlorine even after draining and refilling the fresh water tank. Figure a little chlorine is better than some of the nasties I've had the pleasure (?) of enjoying over the years.

Rhetorical Question though: I see you're from Colorado - how did you manage to not freeze the water tank and bust it during a Colorado winter? :cool:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've never run the bleach water through the hot water heater during the sanitation process.

I was under the assumption that the bleach wasn't good for the water heater... :confused:

ksucats

I'm here shrugging my shoulders as I've never read anything to the contrary. The city water we live with has enough chlorine / chemicals in it that there are times that we can smell it. We are close to a couple of city water tanks so I've always believed that it was normal. I would believe it to be so that the whole of the city water pipes stayed sanitized. So, long story short, I figure if it is good enough for the home water heater I don't see a problem with it going into the coaches.

Lynn1130

Chlorine won't hurt water heaters or there would be millions of broken water heaters in homes around the country. In-fact the Phoenix city water department told me to be careful about pulling chlorine out of the water before the home system (my water purification system) because bad things grow in warm water circulating through the pipes.

I have said it before about Phoenix heat, and home and RV systems. Water left in heaters and lines too long grow some really ugly bugs that can cause some very real intestinal issues. I have read here where some do not drain their tanks between outings. I can only imagine what would be growing in mine if I left water in it between outings. One time I forgot to drain the water heater before I parked the rig. The water came out black and smelling like rotten eggs with the next prep. I had to chlorinate the entire system.

FrontRangeTraveler

Rhetorical Question though: I see you're from Colorado - how did you manage to not freeze the water tank and bust it during a Colorado winter? :cool:

Good question... It's entirely possible that I did drain it and just don't recall. When I realized after our 4th of July trip that I may not have drained the hot water tank when I winterized it, I frantically searched as best I could behind it for evidence of water leaks and found nothing obvious.

Could just be dumb luck or I'm finally going senile.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk