Cutting an access door into basement storage compartment.

I have a 2019 M32 Mallard. I am thinking about cutting an access (trap door, 6"X 6" ) into the storage compartment from the main bedroom. The area I am thinking is the flat horizontal area next to the bed. There seems to be a double layer of material. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so, any advice?

Gaffer

I was just looking at these yesterday at Home Depot for the wall in my basement to access the area behind my UDC. I will be using a 16x16 or 24x24. It comes in smaller sizes. What would you be trying to access with a 6x6?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elmdor-...nd-Ceiling-Access-Panel-DW6X6PC-SDL/204259047

whites-elmdor-access-panels-dw6x6pc-sdl-64_1000.jpg

Thanks for the reply and link to access panel. Actually, I simply wanted a trap door to drop dirty laundry into a basket in the storage compartment. We had a Forrest River camper that had one and found it handy. Since starting the thread, I pulled some trim off and lifted the paneling up just a little and it looks like there is about 1 3/4 inch thick wood in this area.( top of the storage compartment) Ill just have to decide if I want to cut a hole and fabricate a door with hinges. Maybe the other option would be use your access panel idea and cut the hole on the vertical area ???
Phil Livesay

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
On our first Bighorn, a 2007 3055RL, there was a trapdoor to an enclosed box that was perfect for a clothes basket. I don't know if Heartland Customer Service can give you any help (drawings, dimensions, etc.) but it might be worth a call to find out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On our first Bighorn, a 2007 3055RL, there was a trapdoor to an enclosed box that was perfect for a clothes basket. I don't know if Heartland Customer Service can give you any help (drawings, dimensions, etc.) but it might be worth a call to find out.

Our 2009 BH3670 also has one. It’s where we store the central vac accessories and the coolers for the pontoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Thanks for the reply and link to access panel. Actually, I simply wanted a trap door to drop dirty laundry into a basket in the storage compartment. We had a Forrest River camper that had one and found it handy. Since starting the thread, I pulled some trim off and lifted the paneling up just a little and it looks like there is about 1 3/4 inch thick wood in this area.( top of the storage compartment) Ill just have to decide if I want to cut a hole and fabricate a door with hinges. Maybe the other option would be use your access panel idea and cut the hole on the vertical area ???
Phil Livesay

If it is a 1 3/4 inch thick wall, it may be needed for structure. You may have to put a metal header and frame around the cutout to transfer the load and the stresses from rolling down the road.