SnapPads and non solid surface

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Campsite like that, you’d be better off with pontoons on your rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

We were jokingly saying the same. I was there with Duane and being from PA I can attest to the extreme wetness. At home during the month of August we had 21” of rain, about 18” above average

Eric1234

Hi

bummer to see your pictures of your bent landing gear pad. Hopefully we can all learn from one another and it doesn’t happen to someone else. At work our aerial ladder truck has outrigger pads we put down every time we use the ladder. I took that idea and got some DICA Outrigger Pads. I have the D2424 model that spreads the load over each landing gear over a 4’ square area and a 60,000 working load limit.

https://dicausa.com/safety-tech-outrigger-pads/

have be a good night

Eric

porthole

Retired
Hi

bummer to see your pictures of your bent landing gear pad. Hopefully we can all learn from one another and it doesn’t happen to someone else. At work our aerial ladder truck has outrigger pads we put down every time we use the ladder. I took that idea and got some DICA Outrigger Pads. I have the D2424 model that spreads the load over each landing gear over a 4’ square area and a 60,000 working load limit.

https://dicausa.com/safety-tech-outrigger-pads/

Same here with the Ladder truck. Although over the years I don't see where 1/2" aluminum plate is sufficient for spreading the load over a significant area, it certainly does spread the load more then the outrigger pad alone. Our plates would bend some to match the terrain if needed, but always went back to flat when unloaded.

Those Dica pads are bit pricey for our use. Following through with your link and some searching there are a variety of similar pads of the synthetic design.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be a choice!

After Tuesday's night tornado infused storm I had to move the RV about 15' closer to the road to get out of the mini lake surrounding our steps.

porthole

Retired
What is it that you'd like SnapPad to do for you ????
I don't see any responsibility on thire part whatsoever.
If you don't want them I'll buy them from you and give em to someone that does.
We do not have much off road camping here in California so most of us love them out here.
So far your the only one I know of that is disappointed with them.

Happy trails
Jerrod

Jerrod, I can give them away just as well as anyone else..............

Not sure what you mean by off road camping. Off road for us is parking the RV on a surface that is not concrete. For the most part our campsites in the northeast are not paved.

Typically they are grass and or packed gravel.

As to your your question and comment regarding snap pads.

I am not the one who claim that crawling around under your RV or using and storing dirty blocks or boards are forever ended.

Some of these claims are dubious at best.

The SnapPad Difference
SnapPad won't just change how you use your RV, it'll change your camping experience. No more positioning jackpads or levelers under your RV. No more storing dirty blocks or boards. Durable and long lasting, SnapPads can withstand extreme weather and environmental conditions. SnapPads increase the stability and weight distribution of your rig, while protecting your jack foot from rust and other damage.
Installs in seconds. Stays on forever. Say goodbye to crawling under your rig every time you set up.
Snap it and forget it.
Your days of crawling around with boards and blocks are finally over. SnapPad is the world’s first and only permanently-attached jack pad. SnapPads go on in seconds and keep your RV stable for years.
Anti-slip
SnapPads are made from durable rubber that grips any terrain. No more popping jacks or slipping in high winds or slick surfaces like ice.
Protection
SnapPads absorb the daily punishment of the road and elements instead of your metal landing feet. Helps prevent the protective coating from being damaged by gravel, concrete, asphalt and the environment.
Electrical Insulator
Helps protect your family and electronics in the event of an electrical surge from a lightning strike.
Stability
SnapPad increases stability in 3 ways: a larger footprint, more vibration dampening, and by conforming to uneven terrain like gravel.

I have already proven you can't just eliminate your blocks or boards for the terrain we have been in this past season.
In the incident I first posted about I would have been better off without the snap pads and their "slightly increased" surface area. Had I only used the LevelUp pads there is still the very good chance I would have bent the pads. But, the reality is I would not have used the pads without my usual boards (3x12x18)

I see no "increased stability" while "protecting your jack foot"
Depending an the angle your rear jacks are mounted ( I have seen them from 0 to 6 degrees or more) you can see the steel pad sliding in the snap pad as you lift. On our trailer I have seen a gap around the inside edge of the pad as the pad 'slips' in the snap pad.

Your jack pads have already had the bottom surface coating 'damaged' before you ever saw your RV. And it doesn't hurt nor is it unsightly, since you can't see it anyway.
BTW, early snap pads did not have any drainage and that may have actually caused coating damage.

No more popping jacks? What does the pad have to do with that? That is a cylinder issue in the jack assembly.
Slipping in high winds? The highest winds we have camped in was a steady 30-40 frequently gusting to 60 for over 12 hours with over 10" of rain.
Without snap pads the Cyclone was still located in the same exact spot the next day, and that was on asphalt.

Ice? Anyone you thinks the RV will not slide on ice with just some rubber pads - well..........

Lightning strikes - I call 100% bull on that. I queried snap pads on that exact statement, copy of testing or report, never received a response.

It is a given that at a minimum you would need 5" or more of wood or something non conductive to offer even minimal protection. You would probably be better off having the jacks retracted. The jack pistons are insulated from the cylinders by the hydraulic oil. I have seen a forklift that took a hit and the result was every hydraulic cylinder had the seals blown out.

Some of your protection in most of the Heartland 5th wheels comes from the aluminum welded frame. But, since the roof is not welded to the sides, your Faraday Cage is diminished.

Vibration damping? You may have more expeierence with that.

We have only been camping during one earthquake (the one that damaged the Washington monument some years ago. No little rubber pad would have stopped that vibration.

To answer the question of what I expect from snap pads?

I would expect snap pad to replace my damaged jack pads.
I would expect snap pad to add a disclaimer to the marketing hype of never having to use boards. There are times where it may be in the best interest of the RV'er to use supplemental boards.

Final comment

So far your the only one I know of that is disappointed with them.

Over the many years or trucks, motorcycles, boats RV's etc I have found that many people don't accept that something they paid good money for does not live up to the hype.
I am not one of those people. If I have bought something and it doesn't live up to the the claims, I will not just grin and bear it.

Ask me about LiFEPO4 batteries in a year.
Ask me about the quality of certain high end 5th wheels - and you don't have to wait a year for that.

Daley07

The perfect fit. This Snap Pad RV Leveling Jack Pad is great!! I ordered a set of four this past May to serve my trip. The first thing about this jack pad that stood out was its easy installation process. Besides that, it has very good weatherproof capabilities. It shouldn’t have issues withstanding the effects of harsh winds, a mighty downpour, or even overexposure to pesky sun rays. This jack pad is made from recycled tires. They will decrease vibration and movement as well, thanks to the tight grip of rubber. Moreover, these jack pads are anti-slip and will be useful when you encounter rougher terrains such as rocks or concrete.

Last edited: