Hydraulics question (Embarrassed) lol

gslabbert5119

I have had my rig for over 2 years and have never noticed the 2 valves on the hydraulic system. Can someone please tell me what they are and how they function.
(Image needs to be rotated to the right)

Additionally it appears that I need hydraulic fluid, does one lower the hydraulics prior to filling the reservoir as I suspect that it will overflow if I fill it to the fill line then lower the rig and lift up the legs, and is there any specific hydraulic fluid that I should use ?

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 112

SLO

Have slides in and all landing gear and front jacks raised. Then fill tank to fill line. Two knobs are for rear hydraulic slides. Screwing in one knob clockwise will prevent that slide from moving. Sometimes there’s labels, door and off door to indicate which knob is for which slide. If no labels you’ll have to experiment and label them yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan_B

...Can someone please tell me what they are and how they function...

Additionally it appears that I need hydraulic fluid, does one lower the hydraulics prior to filling the reservoir as I suspect that it will overflow if I fill it to the fill line then lower the rig and lift up the legs.

I don’t know about the valves. As far as filling the hydraulic fluid reservoir, I believe you fill it with all slides and landing legs retracted. This makes the job rather awkward as you need to access the front bay while hooked to the truck (so the front landing legs are retracted).

gslabbert5119

Have slides in and all landing gear and front jacks raised. Then fill tank to fill line. Two knobs are for rear hydraulic slides. Screwing in one knob clockwise will prevent that slide from moving. Sometimes there’s labels, door and off door to indicate which knob is for which slide. If no labels you’ll have to experiment and label them yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks, I will test them and label them.
Hopefully they are not partly screwed in or out, and I guess fully turn to the left releases the slide.

Question...
Why would I want to lock the slides via the hydraulics ?

Gavin

danemayer

Many thanks, I will test them and label them.
Hopefully they are not partly screwed in or out, and I guess fully turn to the left releases the slide.

Question...
Why would I want to lock the slides via the hydraulics ?

Gavin
Let's say you're at a rest stop and want to open the slide with the refrigerator but there's no room on the other side to open that slide. You can shut off the operation of the slide you don't need to open.

gslabbert5119

Let's say you're at a rest stop and want to open the slide with the refrigerator but there's no room on the other side to open that slide. You can shut off the operation of the slide you don't need to open.

Oh totally cool, would never have thought of that. I have a pole next to the transformer in my yard, and many times I have had to move the rig because I wanted to open the slides, now I have a solution.

Thanks

Gavin

jbeletti

Oh totally cool, would never have thought of that. I have a pole next to the transformer in my yard, and many times I have had to move the rig because I wanted to open the slides, now I have a solution.

Thanks

Gavin

Gavin - thank you for asking all of these questions. Not only are the forum experts here giving you great feedback, you're learning and others who've wondered some of the same things are also learning.

Keep them coming in separate threads in relevant sub-forums, just as you have been :)

PondSkum

I had no idea about the valves, because I have electric slides. But I just learned some good info for if I ever get a rig with hydraulic slides!

As for the fluid level, you want all the legs and slides to be retracted in before filling. As they extend, your fluid is going into the cylinders to extend them, therefore the level in the tank goes down. If you fill it with them extended, then when they retract, the fluid in the cylinders return to the tank, and will overflow the tank and you will have a big mess to clean up..

rhodies1

Unless Heartland has made a change recently,You need to use automatic transmission fluid as your hydraulic fluid.