Adding Solar to 2017 3513

Todster

Any chance someone with the same model has found a good location to run the PV power down from the roof?

I ask as our kitchen/refer is in the slide so the refer vent trick is out. Preferably I would like to mount the panels near the garage area as I have plenty of real estate back there.

Any others crossed this dilemma?

Thanks Todd

Oregon_Camper

Took mine down the vent pipe...which leads right to the area behind the basement. Small hole to pull wires out, then seal. Secure wires to something permanently so if they wire gets tugged it won't pull on area where is comes out of vent pipe. From there, route to front compartment on connect to your MPPT controller. Concept is easy...will take you a full day to complete. :)

Capture1.jpg

jbeletti

If you didn't want to use the vent stack, it looks like there's a space you could fish down fairly easily (click image below and see area with red circle). It's likely the same space where your vent stacks are now.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz495.jpg

gslabbert5119

Took mine down the vent pipe...which leads right to the area behind the basement. Small hole to pull wires out, then seal. Secure wires to something permanently so if they wire gets tugged it won't pull on area where is comes out of vent pipe. From there, route to front compartment on connect to your MPPT controller. Concept is easy...will take you a full day to complete. :)

View attachment 59316

I removed the dicor around my black water breather and fished the solar wires down next to the pipe.

I did not have to make any holes and that part was easy.

Gavin Slabbert

Todster

Thank you guys. I think I will do a combination of both your replies. I was finishing up my ceiling ac registers this weekend and noticed there is no space to go through the ceiling. So near the vent is where we will have to go. It’s just going to be a pretty far run as the panels are across the back and that is 15+ feet forward of the panels.

What has everyone used to prevent from loose cables mounted to the roof? Guessing something that runs that far will Cs ch leaves, debris etc??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gslabbert5119

What wire are you going to use, Renogy recommended minimum of 10awg, and i opted for 8 awg, got that off Amazon.

That may be a little thicker than necessary but long runs and the potential to future upgrades, and the minimal cost difference drove me to the thicker gauge wire.
Pay great heed to what Jim Tanner (Oregon_Camper) has to say, he helped me out a ton, and this process would have been decidedly more painful without his assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todster

Ok leading me further into questions now.. I’ve got a decent 12 converter for maintaining the batteries. The brand escapes me right now but I remember checking it out originally upon purchase. It provided the main 3 stages of battery charging. Which brings me to my next question.

If parked at home and on the city power/12 converter/charger, which device takes precedence over the other when it comes to maintaining the batteries? The solar side converter or the 115/12v converter? This assumes they are 2 different devices.

What’s the consensus?

Oregon_Camper

Ok leading me further into questions now.. I’ve got a decent 12 converter for maintaining the batteries. The brand escapes me right now but I remember checking it out originally upon purchase. It provided the main 3 stages of battery charging. Which brings me to my next question.

If parked at home and on the city power/12 converter/charger, which device takes precedence over the other when it comes to maintaining the batteries? The solar side converter or the 115/12v converter? This assumes they are 2 different devices.

What’s the consensus?

Which solar charge controller do you have (or are planning to purchase?). Most MPPT controllers will work with the RV's converter (most likely a Progressive converter) so there is nothing you need to do....they can both be on at same time. Now, if you purchase a low cost solar controller (like PWM vs MPPT) you might have to read their manual to determine their charge details.

Personally, I'd just let my solar keep my RV charged while at home and save my $$ on electricity. Now, if you're using it at home and want the refrig on all the time, that would be a different story.

Todster

Which solar charge controller do you have (or are planning to purchase?). Most MPPT controllers will work with the RV's converter (most likely a Progressive converter) so there is nothing you need to do....they can both be on at same time. Now, if you purchase a low cost solar controller (like PWM vs MPPT) you might have to read their manual to determine their charge details.

Personally, I'd just let my solar keep my RV charged while at home and save my $$ on electricity. Now, if you're using it at home and want the refrig on all the time, that would be a different story.

No specific MPPT chosen yet. Just getting my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger. Good point about the at home maintaining. We have the entire rig shut down aside from minor parasitic draws. Should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro