Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just purchased new Elkridge - concerned...

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: Just purchased new Elkridge - concerned...

Quote Originally Posted by mrharte View Post
    Wondering if I'm in over my head, first time RV Owner, picking up my 2018 heartland elkridge 31RLK in a week, pretty much have read all the reviews on this forum and it seems one thing is for certain, your going to have issues? Is there anyone on here that has had their RV for let's say 4-5 years that hasn't had an issue with their RV? It's kind of concerning that we spend $50,000 or more, (some a lot more) and there's all these issues. I think maybe I'm in over my head, if i was a mechanic or electrician or something wouldn't be a big deal but I'm neither.

I know (cause I've done it a few times) if I bought a new car or truck and had any issues other than tire rotations and oil changes for 1st 2-4 years I wouldn't be happy. Am i setting myself up for failure? Having 2nd thoughts?

Just bought the same unit, leftover 2018. Will do PDI and pick it up next week. Keep in touch and left me know if you have any issues. Have had 5th wheels for about 8 years. Most things can be repaired by owner, and major appliances , motors, hydraulics should be under warranty. You'll be fine.. After a few years you will be a self taught mechanic... Have fun.

2. Print this Post   #12

Quote Originally Posted by dstygar View Post

Just bought the same unit, leftover 2018. Will do PDI and pick it up next week. Keep in touch and left me know if you have any issues. Have had 5th wheels for about 8 years. Most things can be repaired by owner, and major appliances , motors, hydraulics should be under warranty. You'll be fine.. After a few years you will be a self taught mechanic... Have fun.

HI dstygar,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
    Jim M
    Jim and Bette
    04 GMC CC Dually D/A, MaxBrake, Riderights
    09 Bighorn 3670RL #9E011439
    Disc Brakes
    HOC #1003
    Heartland Owners Club Information

3. Print this Post   #13

Quote Originally Posted by mrharte View Post
    Wondering if I'm in over my head, first time RV Owner, picking up my 2018 heartland elkridge 31RLK in a week, pretty much have read all the reviews on this forum and it seems one thing is for certain, your going to have issues? Is there anyone on here that has had their RV for let's say 4-5 years that hasn't had an issue with their RV? It's kind of concerning that we spend $50,000 or more, (some a lot more) and there's all these issues. I think maybe I'm in over my head, if i was a mechanic or electrician or something wouldn't be a big deal but I'm neither.

I know (cause I've done it a few times) if I bought a new car or truck and had any issues other than tire rotations and oil changes for 1st 2-4 years I wouldn't be happy. Am i setting myself up for failure? Having 2nd thoughts?
    OK....about seven months have passed.....wondering what, if any, issues have developed? We are set to pick up our 2019 Elkridhge 31RLK next week. We will be doing the PDI on Monday and then hand over the check.
    H.O.C. # 1231

4. Print this Post   #14

No posts since September. Everything must be good.
    Paul & MarthaWinston & Buddy (spoiled rotten canines)2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V-8 with Allison 6-speed transmission2013 Big Horn 3670RL You're not too old and it's not too late!

5. Print this Post   #15

Quote Originally Posted by jimpav View Post
    OK....about seven months have passed.....wondering what, if any, issues have developed? We are set to pick up our 2019 Elkridhge 31RLK next week. We will be doing the PDI on Monday and then hand over the check.
    Two things we noted that can be fixed on your own.
    1. Under kitchen sink water connection to faucet were less than hand tight, had to smug them up. I you take off the access panel in the basement for the water pump and water heater a couple of those connectors were not tight. ( Must have been a late Friday afternoon when the plumber did connection..LOL)
    2. In the from compartment the Battery cable were not tight, had to smug those up. This was missed at the dealer when they installed the batteries.

It is impossible to check everything before you tow it away. My main concerns were the slides operation, door latches adjusted correctly, lights/switches loose items. Have the dealer adjust your 5th wheel or pin-box so your unit sits fairly level when levelers are retracted. Ours had to be adjusted about an inch, easier for dealer to do this.

After using it a few time we did add 3 additional/adjustable shelves in the pantry. Plenty of room there. Also installed a 6" valance over the stove and TV openings to shade those LED puck lights when watching a movie. I can send you some pics if you would like. Let me know if you need any help once you get it home? Good Luck, happy travels...
    2018 Elkridge 31RLK
    2018 RAM 3500 DRW
    Texas Hill Country

6. Print this Post   #16

Once you leave the dealer, find a good independent RV repair business. Don't go back to the dealer for service, because most will let it sit for weeks or months. Their main business is to sell, prep, and deliver the RV's that they have. You need to get Heartland's permissions, but my independent RV repair business called for me and got the permission. The shortest time they had the fifth wheel was one day and the most was eight do to Lippert parts being shipped to Heartland and then to my RV repair shop. A few times they looked it over, after warranty, and ordered the part as I went camping. The fifth wheel was brought back to them on the appointment date and I had it back a two days later. So find a good independent RV repair buisness to do your servicing.

Little stuff can drive you crazy if you let it. Small screws can back out making handles loose. Blue Loctite, one third drop, and they will stay put an can be easily removed when you want. I you do not want to do any more complex jobs, use the form and get advice for the small stuff. Another thing is to get some tools such as good for the road screw driver set in a case form Harbor Freight. Other tools if you feel comfortable using them are available in case sets from Harbor Freight as well such as socket sets. Good enough for occasional light use.

Remember that the more you use tools the more comfortable you will become doing things with them.
    Marc & Carol with Luci & Abby the Boston Terriers

2013 GMC Denali Crew Cab with XTREME Bed Liner
    Air Lift System with remote, Huskey 26K Hitch

2014 3010RE Big Horn
    TrailAir Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box
    Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 Tires
    Splendide Washer/Dryer Combo External Vent
    Keyless RV Lock
    Progressive Surge Protector EMSHW50C
    12V 20A Socket in UDC
    12V 15A Socket in Bedroom
    Torklift Glow Step and GlowGlide Handrail
    On-The-Go Water Softener
    Whole-House Filter System
    Disk Brakes
    All LED Lights

Converter Voltage & Current Monitor
    CNBOU 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Joy Rider Shocks

2014 Chapter Rally, Jackson, CA -------- 2017 Regional Rally, Canyonville, OR
    2014 Regional Rally, Sparks, NV
    2014 Chapter Rally, Temecula, CA
    2015 National Rally, Goshen, IN
    2016 National Rally, Las Vegas, NV
    2016 Regional Rally, Jackson, NV
    2016 Chapter Rally, Temecula, CA

7. Print this Post   #17

This will be our third Heartland fifth wheel camper. I already told the owner of the dealership that I will do the PDI with a service tech, and that the check (minus deposit) will not be handed over till all, if any issues corrected. As previously stated, it's impossible to check everything in a static state, but I'm even bringing along things like an extra TV to check all the cable connections. I also have my own PDI checklist. The hardest thing, for me anyway, was that with my present Gateway 5 years old now, I had put in numerous "upgrades", that I'm in the process of removing for installation in the new one. Things like the hardwired power management system are hard to leave behind. Learned that lesson with the last trade in as I didn't have time to get it out and rewire the leads. At least I got off all the JT stablizers. Sure wish I could remove the disc brakes I had installed at the National rally, but already have plans to get them plus other suspension enhancements and new "real" tires at the National this June. Perfect timing!!!!
    H.O.C. # 1231

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2