Just purchased new Elkridge - concerned...

mrharte

Wondering if I'm in over my head, first time RV Owner, picking up my 2018 heartland elkridge 31RLK in a week, pretty much have read all the reviews on this forum and it seems one thing is for certain, your going to have issues? Is there anyone on here that has had their RV for let's say 4-5 years that hasn't had an issue with their RV? It's kind of concerning that we spend $50,000 or more, (some a lot more) and there's all these issues. I think maybe I'm in over my head, if i was a mechanic or electrician or something wouldn't be a big deal but I'm neither.

I know (cause I've done it a few times) if I bought a new car or truck and had any issues other than tire rotations and oil changes for 1st 2-4 years I wouldn't be happy. Am i setting myself up for failure? Having 2nd thoughts?

CoveredWagon

Re: Concerned

Wondering if I'm in over my head, first time RV Owner, picking up my 2018 heartland elkridge 31RLK in a week, pretty much have read all the reviews on this forum and it seems one thing is for certain, your going to have issues? Is there anyone on here that has had their RV for let's say 4-5 years that hasn't had an issue with their RV? It's kind of concerning that we spend $50,000 or more, (some a lot more) and there's all these issues. I think maybe I'm in over my head, if i was a mechanic or electrician or something wouldn't be a big deal but I'm neither.

I know (cause I've done it a few times) if I bought a new car or truck and had any issues other than tire rotations and oil changes for 1st 2-4 years I wouldn't be happy. Am i setting myself up for failure? Having 2nd thoughts?

naw you’ll have fun. I’ve talked to many who are on their 1st Rv (us too) and most if they had issues were only little things. Join the HOC group and go to the rallies. If you have a problem they’re be folks their to help.
Enjoy and don’t over think things. I do ��

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

You're going to have some kind of issue, how you handle it is the important thing. I would think that having a really really good dealer would be the trick. But you have to be proactive too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

Have you ever bought a new house? There may be problems, there may not be. There are many components to an RV just as to a house. HVAC, plumbing, kitchen appliances, furniture - all made by humans.

Best advice - do a slow and thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection) making a video if at all possible. Don't let the dealer rush you and don't accept the unit until any items that might need replacement or repair are either made right or are promised in writing by the dealer.

You have warranties - make sure that you understand them. Don't rush though the paperwork.

But most of all, remember that the people writing about problems on the forums are in the minority - most are enjoying their RV. We've had problems (some self inflicted and some not), but people on this forum are here to help you and will do so. Heartland is a good product and the company stands up to help you.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes you will have issues. Most of them will be minor and you will be surprised just how many you will be able to take care of yourself. Use this forum! Ask the question. Share the picture. Someone will help you out. Don't forget there are many independent RV repair shops and technicians. Sometimes they are a better option and more timely. Most importantly just enjoy your rig and the RV lifestyle. Safe travels!

sengli

Hope your a do it yourselfer. Trying to use a dealer as your sole source for repairs, and or warranty will be time consuming. I havent taken my units ever back to the dealer. Now, I have had to have warranty parts sent to me, which I installed. One time I attempted to use the dealer on my first unit, they said sure we can get you in for warranty in like 6-8 weeks. The key thing is to be observant..leaks are most likely the most common issue.

Take you wall down in the basement are see what is happening when you first bring it home. Run the pump, turn on faucets, check your drains, run water in the shower. Check all the line terminations where they are supposed to be tight, same with the traps under the sinks. Water will kill an RV.

LKG_Ram

Enjoy it! I have had our Big Country for almost 4 years and only 1 major issue and one minor. Major one was hydraulic pump sprung a leak on second trip out. Replaced under warranty when I returned home. Minor one was hydraulic landing gear wouldn't retract. Called Heartland and they direct me to Lipper. The Lipper tech quickly diagnosed the issue as power connect (spade connector) came loose. Plug that back in and we were on our way.

Regards,
Tony

Gary521

So far, everybody says you will have issues. I have to agree with everyone. If you have ever followed this forum, you start to realize that the biggest issue may be you. What I mean by that is that most initial users do not understand the working of an RV. There is a learning curve and everybody has to go through it. The workings are not like a house, it is a bit different. However, the experience as you go through the learning curve, is a load of fun. Ask a lot of questions up front and specially at RV parks as everyone is eager to help. People are eager to help here too.

Sheri

We studied for two years looking for the perfect rv. There is not one. But you made your choice and now the fun begins. Really the thing is to rent a room somewhere you don’t know who slept there before you or what bugs they left behind. And if you have dogs ....well the kennel fees are crazy and by the time you add the money you spent for room and eating out etc you could make several rv payments. You will have fun and see so much more.

Plus the environment in campground is so much better than a condo.
Good luck and happy camping

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you have some kind of structural problems, most problems can be solved without going to a dealer. With the myriad of owners on these forums, somebody is bound to have experienced the same problem you might have and can advise you on how to deal with it. Much of it can be a DIY project without a lot of specialized tools or equipment. Some may require calling a mobile technician, but it's better than losing your rig to a dealership for weeks or months. The key to ownership, IMHO, is you want and need to learn how to take care of the minor things or you will not be happy.

dstygar

Just bought the same unit, leftover 2018. Will do PDI and pick it up next week. Keep in touch and left me know if you have any issues. Have had 5th wheels for about 8 years. Most things can be repaired by owner, and major appliances , motors, hydraulics should be under warranty. You'll be fine.. After a few years you will be a self taught mechanic... Have fun.

jimtoo

Just bought the same unit, leftover 2018. Will do PDI and pick it up next week. Keep in touch and left me know if you have any issues. Have had 5th wheels for about 8 years. Most things can be repaired by owner, and major appliances , motors, hydraulics should be under warranty. You'll be fine.. After a few years you will be a self taught mechanic... Have fun.

HI dstygar,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

jimpav

OK....about seven months have passed.....wondering what, if any, issues have developed? We are set to pick up our 2019 Elkridhge 31RLK next week. We will be doing the PDI on Monday and then hand over the check.

dstygar

OK....about seven months have passed.....wondering what, if any, issues have developed? We are set to pick up our 2019 Elkridhge 31RLK next week. We will be doing the PDI on Monday and then hand over the check.

Two things we noted that can be fixed on your own.
1. Under kitchen sink water connection to faucet were less than hand tight, had to smug them up. I you take off the access panel in the basement for the water pump and water heater a couple of those connectors were not tight. ( Must have been a late Friday afternoon when the plumber did connection..LOL)
2. In the from compartment the Battery cable were not tight, had to smug those up. This was missed at the dealer when they installed the batteries.

It is impossible to check everything before you tow it away. My main concerns were the slides operation, door latches adjusted correctly, lights/switches loose items. Have the dealer adjust your 5th wheel or pin-box so your unit sits fairly level when levelers are retracted. Ours had to be adjusted about an inch, easier for dealer to do this.

After using it a few time we did add 3 additional/adjustable shelves in the pantry. Plenty of room there. Also installed a 6" valance over the stove and TV openings to shade those LED puck lights when watching a movie. I can send you some pics if you would like. Let me know if you need any help once you get it home? Good Luck, happy travels...

mlpeloquin

Once you leave the dealer, find a good independent RV repair business. Don't go back to the dealer for service, because most will let it sit for weeks or months. Their main business is to sell, prep, and deliver the RV's that they have. You need to get Heartland's permissions, but my independent RV repair business called for me and got the permission. The shortest time they had the fifth wheel was one day and the most was eight do to Lippert parts being shipped to Heartland and then to my RV repair shop. A few times they looked it over, after warranty, and ordered the part as I went camping. The fifth wheel was brought back to them on the appointment date and I had it back a two days later. So find a good independent RV repair buisness to do your servicing.

Little stuff can drive you crazy if you let it. Small screws can back out making handles loose. Blue Loctite, one third drop, and they will stay put an can be easily removed when you want. I you do not want to do any more complex jobs, use the form and get advice for the small stuff. Another thing is to get some tools such as good for the road screw driver set in a case form Harbor Freight. Other tools if you feel comfortable using them are available in case sets from Harbor Freight as well such as socket sets. Good enough for occasional light use.

Remember that the more you use tools the more comfortable you will become doing things with them.

jimpav

This will be our third Heartland fifth wheel camper. I already told the owner of the dealership that I will do the PDI with a service tech, and that the check (minus deposit) will not be handed over till all, if any issues corrected. As previously stated, it's impossible to check everything in a static state, but I'm even bringing along things like an extra TV to check all the cable connections. I also have my own PDI checklist. The hardest thing, for me anyway, was that with my present Gateway 5 years old now, I had put in numerous "upgrades", that I'm in the process of removing for installation in the new one. Things like the hardwired power management system are hard to leave behind. Learned that lesson with the last trade in as I didn't have time to get it out and rewire the leads. At least I got off all the JT stablizers. Sure wish I could remove the disc brakes I had installed at the National rally, but already have plans to get them plus other suspension enhancements and new "real" tires at the National this June. Perfect timing!!!!