12v Trailer Breakaway Switch

asherwin

Yesterday, after a refueling stop the display on my '11 F350 showed "Trailer Wiring Fault". The 5er was connected as evidenced by all lights working. The truck manual indicates this fault is related to brake wiring and could indicate a number of possibilities. I first checked to see if I had brakes by pulling forward and squeezing the brake controller paddles. Nothing. Next I went to the breakaway switch attached to the pin box, pulled the "plug", got back in the truck and moved the rig forward. Moved fine, no brakes. Went back to the breakaway switch and noticed small whiffs of smoke coming from the unit. I pulled, ok, I yanked the wires out of the switch and the smoking slowed and then stopped. Long story short I believe the issue is with the switch. I drove the remaining two hours to our planned camping destination and today am looking for a fix. Are all 12V Trailer Breakaway Switches created equal, and if not what would be the significant differences? I ask because there are several available online and at local auto stores ranging in price from $10 to $30. Thank you

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Some have 2 wires and some have 3 and a led light in them. Unnecessary...

This is the one I'd get if it were me. 2 wire with the 6' coiled lanyard.

Sounds like your breakaway switch is wired directly to the ground wire or has a dead short in the brake wires somewhere. It should not have burned up like that unless it was shorting out somewhere.

1 wire goes to the 12v and the other goes to the blue brake wires.

Hope this helps
Jerrod

https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-80-0...y+switch&qid=1536593517&sr=8-2&ref=mp_s_a_1_2

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
78f1c1a78c9065466846c06f9374bb75.jpg