Hooking up satellite dish

Dan54

I bought a 2011 Landmark last year that has a rooftop dish. I've heard some good things about Dish TV & I'd like to find out what information is needed from the equipment to make sure it's compatible. Also how do I get someone at Dish that knows about the RV programs. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

richheck

Seasoned Member
Just what questions do you have, I’m very pleased with my Winegard Traveler and two Dish Wally’s that I installed myself in my 2017 Landmark Arlington.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dan54

My equipment says Winegard on it but I'm not sure which model. My question - what do I need to lease/rent/buy to get started with Dish? I assume they'll need a model number or serial number off my equipment to make sure it's compatible? Or do Winegard dishes work with both Dish & Direct? My Landmark is stored over 2 hours away so I want to make sure know what I need to find out before I make the drive

"Hi-Viz" Bill

My equipment says Winegard on it but I'm not sure which model. My question - what do I need to lease/rent/buy to get started with Dish? I assume they'll need a model number or serial number off my equipment to make sure it's compatible? Or do Winegard dishes work with both Dish & Direct? My Landmark is stored over 2 hours away so I want to make sure know what I need to find out before I make the drive

The Winegard Traveler roof mounted dishes are specific to either DirecTV or Dish!!

Dan54

How do I find out which sat tv my antenna is set up for?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
How do I find out which sat tv my antenna is set up for?

Looks like you will have to make that 2 hour trip and take a look at it.
I think I recall seeing the providers name on the face of the dish.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

The Winegard Traveler roof mounted dishes are specific to either DirecTV or Dish!!
Are there any dip switch's? I Know the the Wingard in motion satilite dish and the carry-out version have dip switch's to toggle between the two direct TV and dish Network. I just take my box from the house so no need to have the RV package.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Would the dip switches be on the Winegard box in the trailer or on the antenna?

carl.swoyer

Would the dip switches be on the Winegard box in the trailer or on the antenna?

On the antenna. I would suggest calling Wingard customer service. They have always been excellent .

carl.swoyer

On the antenna. I would suggest calling Wingard customer service. They have always been excellent .

800-778-4417
I called the customer service.
It's possible to change the arm and reflector to change from dish to direct. But some model are not suitable for the update as the motor is not strong enough to lift the new arm and reflector. You may find a model number in the paperwork if you have it.
They said they would be able to assist you with your specific traveler.

Last edited:

Dan54

Really appreciate your taking the time to suggest & make the call. I'll give them a call & hopefully be able to handle it from here. Thanks!

Dan54

Carl,
Wow, what an experience! That number was a "special offer" sell you something line. An endless loop of offer after offer. At first they tell you "this offer will only take a moment" but they never stop. Finally I hung up & checked the website. The correct number is one digit off what you gave me - 800-788-4417. You gave 778. Thanks a lot! Haha! Easy to do!
By the way they said check the digital display on the power box which should give me the satellites, call them back & they can determine they model number. Interesting. Thanks again.

carl.swoyer

Carl,
Wow, what an experience! That number was a "special offer" sell you something line. An endless loop of offer after offer. At first they tell you "this offer will only take a moment" but they never stop. Finally I hung up & checked the website. The correct number is one digit off what you gave me - 800-788-4417. You gave 778. Thanks a lot! Haha! Easy to do!
By the way they said check the digital display on the power box which should give me the satellites, call them back & they can determine they model number. Interesting. Thanks again.

Did I do a typo? On the number?
Oh my gosh

Sorry
I have a medical condition....
SFS
Short for sausage finger syndrome ROLOL

CoveredWagon

Carl,

I think he works fordish. LOL 😝

porthole

Retired
Or do Winegard dishes work with both Dish & Direct?

The Traveler roof top is specific to the either Dish or DirecTV, two different sets of satellites used and different equipment to access either.
The Dish antenna is less expensive then the DirecTV.
The basic parts (base) are the same and parts can be changed to make them work.

You can go from Direct to Dish, not sure about the other way.

Look at this site

https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/directv-to-dish-travler-conversions/

If the control box works and operates the antenna, after locking on DirecTV will show SATs 99 - 101 - 103 (these numbers are the elevation in degrees and how the SATs are labeled for basic use).

Dish may provide higher numbers and fewer satellites, like 119

And there are two different types of DirecTV antennas, the actual dish and the LNB, which is the small receiver on the end of the antenna arm.

carl.swoyer

The Traveler roof top is specific to the either Dish or DirecTV, two different sets of satellites used and different equipment to access either.
The Dish antenna is less expensive then the DirecTV.
The basic parts (base) are the same and parts can be changed to make them work.

You can go from Direct to Dish, not sure about the other way.

Look at this site

https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/directv-to-dish-travler-conversions/

If the control box works and operates the antenna, after locking on DirecTV will show SATs 99 - 101 - 103 (these numbers are the elevation in degrees and how the SATs are labeled for basic use).

Dish may provide higher numbers and fewer satellites, like 119

And there are two different types of DirecTV antennas, the actual dish and the LNB, which is the small receiver on the end of the antenna arm.
When I spoke to Wingard customer service they indicated that the change could be done by changing the arm and reflector.
However the change was only possible on certain model numbers. Not sure which allows for the change but he stated one model has too small of a motor to lift the new arm and reflector as it was to heavy.

porthole

Retired
When I spoke to Wingard customer service they indicated that the change could be done by changing the arm and reflector.
However the change was only possible on certain model numbers. Not sure which allows for the change but he stated one model has too small of a motor to lift the new arm and reflector as it was to heavy.

There is more to it then just the arm and reflector.
The antenna is actually a receiver and it is programmed to locate the specific satellites.

Dan54

Winegard wants to know which satellites come up on the screen when I turn it on. I don't have an active account but I assume the antenna will still search for the satellites when I turn it on. Will it need to lock on to show up on the screen? Or will it show which ones it's looking for before it locks on?

porthole

Retired
Winegard wants to know which satellites come up on the screen when I turn it on. I don't have an active account but I assume the antenna will still search for the satellites when I turn it on. Will it need to lock on to show up on the screen? Or will it show which ones it's looking for before it locks on?

When you first turn on the control box the screen will display 'connecting to antenna'

It will switch to 'searching' and once it finishes and is locked on it should display the SATs it is receiving.

These pictures are my control box and my DirecTV SWiM antenna, this is the newest antenna used for HD channels.

Attachments

• IMG_7740.jpg
    IMG_7740.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7743.jpg
    IMG_7743.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7742.jpg
    IMG_7742.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 30

Dan54

Porthole,
Thanks very much for taking the time to take those photos. Now I know I'll need to have my RV pulled out of storage so I can extend the antenna & have it search for those satellites. Very helpful!