Suggestions On Audio System(s) Replacements

TerribleTim68

Hey gang,
Wife and I just purchased a used 2008 Cyclone 4012. During our first real use of it we found out that the stereo in the main entertainment center has some issues. While the AM/FM part worked great and was able to pick up stations that others parked next to us couldn't, when I tried to play a CD it began emitting an awful high-pitched squealing noise. I kicked the CD out and the high-pitched squealing noise lowered in volume but kept going in the background of the FM station. I turned the unit off for a while and then when I turned it back on the squealing was gone. So luckily I can still use it in AM/FM mode, but as a CD player I think it has seen better days.

Now, as for the stereo in the pass-through storage area (the outdoor unit), it is missing the cover plate and the large knob that I assume is the volume, so I'm not even sure what it is. I tried to play a CD in it and it just spit out an error message on the display. So I put it on FM mode and after about a half hour it just quit working. It powers on, but it emits no sound at all. It worked fine for a half hour, then just quit.

So here's my list of questions -
  1. Can you guys tell me what units were used in the 2008 Cyclone storage compartment?
  2. Is it common for the CD heads to go bad? Do you recommend anything specific to try to revive them?
  3. If these units are junk, what do you guys recommend replacing them with in a manner that doesn't mean cutting up my rv to mount something else?

TerribleTim68

Anyone? I'm looking for some advice on what units would be an easy swap for the stock heads in both the interior entertainment system as well as the pass-thru storage area here. Pretty sure the interior unit is a Jensen. No clue on the pass-thru unit since it's missing some face pieces and knobs.

Anyone got some input here? Currently I've got a Cyclone with no tunes at all. :(

GregP

I may not be of much help to you since I don't have the same model RV, but have you considered a total replacement of the defective units? it might be cheaper and easier in the long run, and you might end up with a better unit(s) overall. If you were looking for replacement heads, considering the age of the units in your current rig, you might not be able to get anything that would work reliably for long. Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe someone else will have more useful advice for you. Good luck in your search.

alsams

Hey gang,
Wife and I just purchased a used 2008 Cyclone 4012. During our first real use of it we found out that the stereo in the main entertainment center has some issues. While the AM/FM part worked great and was able to pick up stations that others parked next to us couldn't, when I tried to play a CD it began emitting an awful high-pitched squealing noise. I kicked the CD out and the high-pitched squealing noise lowered in volume but kept going in the background of the FM station. I turned the unit off for a while and then when I turned it back on the squealing was gone. So luckily I can still use it in AM/FM mode, but as a CD player I think it has seen better days.

Now, as for the stereo in the pass-through storage area (the outdoor unit), it is missing the cover plate and the large knob that I assume is the volume, so I'm not even sure what it is. I tried to play a CD in it and it just spit out an error message on the display. So I put it on FM mode and after about a half hour it just quit working. It powers on, but it emits no sound at all. It worked fine for a half hour, then just quit.

So here's my list of questions -
  1. Can you guys tell me what units were used in the 2008 Cyclone storage compartment?
  2. Is it common for the CD heads to go bad? Do you recommend anything specific to try to revive them?
  3. If these units are junk, what do you guys recommend replacing them with in a manner that doesn't mean cutting up my rv to mount something else?
A couple of pictures would help. Luckily they run from 12V which means any decent car stereo should work as a replacement as long as it is the same size. Most head units come in two DIN sizes so if you measure the opening we could determine what size will work.

esscobra

ebay has large selection of the Jensen units- there are several ebay sellers that specialize in rv parts and overstock/older excess units-

for outside I would prob just get a cheap std din car stereo unit like a kenwood or something - prob be better than oem unit anyway

TerribleTim68

Thanks for the input guys. So basically they are just plain old car stereo units, nothing special about them? I'm a little concerned about the wiring being compatible, but I guess I'd need to crack it open before I'll know how it's wired huh? The one in the entertainment center is the one that worries me the most since it is wired into the TV and DVD player and all that somehow. But I guess I'll just have to dive in there and figure it out.

esscobra

my previous unit had 1 of the large Jensen dvd/radio combo that played through interior speakers - it was basically a 12 stereo that output video to tv
. on my bighorn the factory unit really has poor sound quality and difficult to operate- and speakers are not that great - its one area they def save $$$ one of the first things I did as install soundbar/sub combo- you could install a small home theater system that has blu ray player as well as options- the car stereo I have seen for outdoor unit in many rvs. I would get model # of unit and look up the specs - power and output type to speakers- car speakers usually 4 ohm- home speakers 8 ohm- then see what replacement options there are- really will depend on how you use unit - and how important 12v operation is vs 110 type setup