12v breaker Function

gslabbert5119

12v breaker Function Question

I have a 12v auto reset breaker that is vertical (upendicular as my buddy calls it) at the bottom oft array of breakers. It is not connected to the copper breaker bar that feeds all of the circuits.

There is a white wire and a red wire coming from it and the white wire was - is connected to on of the red wires that comes from the battery. In fact it was put into the same spade that fed the main feed from the positive battery terminal. The white wire (feeding battery power) goes into the outbound (silver side) of a 12v auto reset breaker and then there is a red wire coming in to the inbound (copper side).

I volt tested it with the batteries out and there was no power coming in from the red + side and without the batteries there is no power coming in from the silver side either.

I have attached a picture, and it is not the hard wire for the trailer lights (maybe the breakaway switch ??)

Image needs to be rotated to the right

Attachments

• IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 59

gslabbert5119

Re: 12v breaker Function Question

I believe that is 12v coming in from your truck/7way cord

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That is what I thought as well, but I have all lights coming from my truck working without that wire connected, and there is no voltage on the circuit with the truck connected, ..
ahhh thought ...
Maybe it is the truck charging system, I need to start my truck and see if there is any power at that point.

Will let you know... Thanks for jarring my memory Jerrod

- - - Updated - - -

100% correct Jerrod

The question is, do I need it if I have a solar system and the batteries are being charged by the solar system, even when I am driving.

If I require it, where would the best place be to connect the white wire that was connected to the pos terminal. I guess where my batteries now connect, which is where they used to connect prior to the Solar system install

Thoughts
Gavin

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Well I'd say only if you do any traveling at night. My solar definitely keeps everything up to par during the day but I've had problems when traveling at night. After five or 3 or 4 hours of night travles my fridge has been pulling my 4-12v batteries down and kicking off the invertor. For some reason I'm only getting about 4volts to the 7way plug in my truck, and I haven't gotten around to fixing that problem yet.
I believe when I switch to the Lithium ion batteries my problem will be resolved.

As for your other question it was a bit confusing as what your asking. Did you use that 50amp breaker for your solar ? If so just add another right next to it for the truck power.

Hope this helps
Jerrod

Oregon_Camper

After five or 3 or 4 hours of night travles my fridge has been pulling my 4-12v batteries down and kicking off the invertor.

Have you ever tested the batteries actual voltage when this happens? I'd be interested to see where your inverter kicks off and how low you've taken your batteries.

Oregon_Camper

1000w invertor kicks off around 10.5 Volts.

OMG...10.5v Really? Your battery is dead at that point. No wonder you can't hold a charge, you've probably damaged them beyond their ability to charge back up (and hold a charge) due to that extreme level.

From all my research, you should never take any battery (other than lithium) below 50% SOC.

Capture.JPG

LBR

1000w invertor kicks off around 10.5 Volts.

I've watched my refrigerator Magnum 1K inverter display as the voltage dropped to find that "threshold"....it trips and squeals at 11.3V.