Waste Water Lesson#1

Gaffer

Yep. I kept getting some surprise water when removing my cap, so I purchased a twist on valve to eliminate that issue. Some folks also use this in order to open both gray tanks to "equalize" them when boondocking between dump stations to maximize gray capacity.
They will only equalize if they are at the same elevation. That is not always the case.

2PawsRiver

Seems poor planning to not have grey water be able to flow out after black. Wonder if plumbers messed up during construction

I have thought "Poor Planning on many things with our RV, from the draining system, order that the gates are brought in on the side deck, door hooks instead of knobs, etc.....I am sure most of it has something to do with cost.

- - - Updated - - -

'Lil Guy'

Twist on valve from Camping World, best investment ever made.

https://www.campingworld.com/twist-on-valve

27868n.jpg

Best investment for me also. No more surprises.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced the standard cap with one that has a hose fitting on it. To that, I added a small hose valve. Place a small bucket or coffee can at it, crack the little valve and drain any residual liquid. Then I can connect my sewer hose assembly after removing the cap. Usually don’t get much more than a cup of water out of it after winter storage. Most likely just water that remained on the plumbing walls after shutting the tank valves for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That works until the valves fail. Then all ****.

If you're referring to my valved cap, it's highly unlikely the valves will fail in the closed position. That cap goes on during my winterizing procedures after flushing and allowing the tanks to drain completely (as seen via the clear adapter w/gate valve). Any water coming out when I open the valve on the cap has been minimal for several years. In the spring, what's actually in the tank is mostly antifreeze from winterizing the toilet and the water used to flush the antifreeze out of the plumbing during the de-winterizing process.

Myster46

Seems to me this is BS why isn't the company fixing this issue this is the worst job about camping right I have a brand new 2019 cyclone and like it up a tiny surprise every time I leave the same drain I should not keep having to deal with this this is a brand new unit how long is this been happening how long will it take new units come out they should fix this at the factory

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Seems to me this is BS why isn't the company fixing this issue this is the worst job about camping right I have a brand new 2019 cyclone and like it up a tiny surprise every time I leave the same drain I should not keep having to deal with this this is a brand new unit how long is this been happening how long will it take new units come out they should fix this at the factory

Ok...

Need to slow down...take a deep breath...and retype your post above so that we can understand what you are trying to tell us.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The real problem is that there is not enough "drop" in the pipes. There is a small amount of water remaining in the pipes after closing the valves, which goes to the low point at the end of the pipe. When you add the Valterra valve, that prevents a surprise when you remove the cap to hook up the sewer hose.

NewHopians

I have the same problem with my 2017 BigHorn Traveler 37SS. I have ordered the twist on external valve. Just came back from Oregon and had to bleach out my site where I got the POO POO surprise.
But, the valves do not seem to be closing all the way and I have to push the valves several times to get the handle close to the closed position. Of course you cannot see the end point from where the handles are located.

My sewer hose connection seems to be really low and is down below the midline jack. Has anyone changed this and moved the drain opening up any?

Last edited:

danemayer

I know this thread is a little old... But a pic plz?
Sam

Put one of these on the end of the sewer outlet, with the handle positioned at 1 o'clock so gravity helps keep it in place while traveling.

I also use one of these, that I put on when dumping the tanks. The clear adapter lets me see what's coming out, or not coming out. The 2nd gate valve lets me close the outlet and use the black tank flush to refill the tank for a 2nd and 3rd dump. The backflush may be needed occasionally if the tank outlet is blocked, but usually closing the 2nd gate valve will back up water and the blockage moves.

TheSniper

Put one of these on the end of the sewer outlet, with the handle positioned at 1 o'clock so gravity helps keep it in place while traveling.

I also use one of these, that I put on when dumping the tanks. The clear adapter lets me see what's coming out, or not coming out. The 2nd gate valve lets me close the outlet and use the black tank flush to refill the tank for a 2nd and 3rd dump. The backflush may be needed occasionally if the tank outlet is blocked, but usually closing the 2nd gate valve will back up water and the blockage moves.

Thanks for the links. I ordered one of each. My Ride is A 16' SUNDANCE RLB3700.
I found the dump points to be quite low especially when dumping into a portable. even the though the rig itself its quite high.
Thanks again.
Sam