SOLVED - Power Awning Died??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Need some help...weird issue here. We have two Dometic power awnings....the main and one on the entertainment slide.

Went to put the main awnsing in, and a foot from done it stopped working...this is where it gets weird. Our 12v fuse panel shows a 20 amp fuse for the power awning. When we pull the fuse out the red light, which usually comes on when the fuse blows or is removed (this is what happens on all the other fuses in the panel), does NOT come on. DH checked with a voltmeter with the fuse removed and no power is coming to the fuse holder. He did this on other fuses and is getting 12v there. Also, with the fuse pulled the entertainment awning works...

So...we need to find out is there another fuse/breaker that feeds the 12v panel for the main power awning, if so, where is it?? Also, where is the fuse/breaker for the entertainment slide awning, as they are obviously powered from different sources??

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Power Awning Died??

I'm told the fuse light only lights up if the switch is on pulling power. So in this case it's a momentary switch, so see if it lights up while your holding the switch on one way or the other.

That might help on your confusion.

Just my 2 cents, I haven't checked this theory myself yet.

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danemayer

Jerrod is correct about the LED lighting up only with blown/removed fuse AND load on the circuit - meaning switch depressed.

More concerning is that you read power on the other fuse positions, but not on this one. What are you using for ground when taking those readings?

kakampers

We did check other fuse positions with the fuses pulled...they all get power and the light comes on when fuse is removed. The one mark Awning does neither. When we pull fuses from other positions, the light activates even when item is turned off...

kakampers

as for using for ground, not sure...he used his voltmeter with a probe on each side of the fuse holder.

mlpeloquin

It sounds like an open connection. At the top of one the awning arms, on mine it is the right side, you will find the wires for the LED strip lights and should find the awning motor wires as well. They are twisted and taped. At least it is on mine. It maybe open there. Twisting and tapping is not a great long term water proof secure way of making wire connections. I have taken care of all the wiring on mine when I replaced my LED light strip.

Roller4tan

All the RVs I have owned have been notorious for fuse panels being mislabeled. I'd verify the circuit. Perhaps the 0 volt fuse is a spare. Just my thought.

danemayer

as for using for ground, not sure...he used his voltmeter with a probe on each side of the fuse holder.
When testing some fuses, like a light circuit, where the light is on, you can remove the fuse and read 12V by putting a meter lead on each side of the fuse holder because there is 12V on one side and a path to ground on the other side. But when testing the awning circuit, unless you hold the switch, there's no path to ground, so the meter reads 0 V. Try again while someone presses the switch in each direction.

Also, try putting the meter's ground probe on a good ground. If you pull the fuse box away from the wall, you'll see where all the ground wires connect on the back side. If you read 12V between the power side of the fuse holder to a good ground, but you read 0V across the fuse holder while pressing the button, there's a problem with the circuit being open somewhere after the fuse.

kakampers

OK...thanks Dan. We did try getting voltage across the holder while moving the switch...nothing. We have determined it's not the motor..we jumped it with a battery and were successful in getting the awning fully retracted.

We will try to check the grounding as you suggested, probably tomorrow. If the grounding is bad would that keep the light from coming on when the fuse is removed?

kakampers

BTW...any idea why the entertainment slide still has power, even with the fuse pulled? Does it have a separate fuse elsewhere? There is nothing in the panel...

danemayer

OK...thanks Dan. We did try getting voltage across the holder while moving the switch...nothing. We have determined it's not the motor..we jumped it with a battery and were successful in getting the awning fully retracted.

We will try to check the grounding as you suggested, probably tomorrow. If the grounding is bad would that keep the light from coming on when the fuse is removed?

If you applied power directly to one of the motor leads and it ran, the ground must be working. The power goes from the fuse to the switch, and from there to the motor. So it's starting to sound like either a switch gone bad, or maybe a wire has come off the switch.

If you pull the control panel/switch to look at the backside, before doing anything else, use the camera in your phone to take a clear picture so you know where the wires go. If something comes off its terminal, you'll be able to get it back.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW...any idea why the entertainment slide still has power, even with the fuse pulled? Does it have a separate fuse elsewhere? There is nothing in the panel...

The fuse for the slide probably controls only the 12V DC lighting in the slide. The 120V AC outlets are powered from the main circuit breaker panel. The slide electric or hydraulic motion is usually powered through 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near the batteries. For a clearer understanding, flip through our Electrical User Guide, starting around page 23.

kakampers

Our motor has a plug in to the wiring harness in the awning arm....Ken unplugged it and rigged up a power source from a 12v battery using a matching plug from a battery tender. When we powered it that way the motor immediately worked...the motor was completely isolated from the wiring in the RV.

When he checked the other plug end that is supposed to supply the power to the motor, with the switch turned on, he got no voltage at all...he's going to try to use another power source from the back of the 12v panel to see if he can get power to the motor tomorrow. If he does get power, then he'll be able to start narrowing down the problem to somewhere in the wiring from the panel to the motor.

Bogie

I don't know if this will be of any help, but when I recently installed a new control panel in the control cabinet of my Sundance (where the awning switch and others reside). I discovered an inline fuse that protects the LED awning lights. Had I not cut a larger opening for the modification, I would never have known the fuse existed, as the cabinet was not constructed in a way that allowed access to it. It was essentially hidden. You may want to start at the switch to see if you have power there. It might help you isolate the problem.

kakampers

UPDATE: We found the problem...it was a broken ground wire in the awning arm (see pics)....we repaired with a crimp connection and sealed with Rescue Tape.

Apparently six years of the wires bending back and forth, finally broke the wire...all fixed and working as it should...;) Always something when you're fulltiming...Sigh...:(

Attachments

• IMG_20180918_130522008.jpg
    IMG_20180918_130522008.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20180918_130840699.jpg
    IMG_20180918_130840699.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 76