Cummings Generator winterizing question

ronbro

First winter with my 2012 Bighorn. It has a Cummings Generator - propane fuel - Model 5.5HGJAB -11190
Have not run it yet as I have been plugged into 30amp power at my RV site all summer.
1) should it be run during the summer and if so for how long?
2) it has about 90 hours on it but no indication if oil has been changed or when it was last serviced. Should I change the oil before winterizing trailer?
3) IS there anything to address with the generator as far as winterizing is concerned?
thanks
Ronald

Last edited by a moderator:

BWStark

It should be run maybe every couple weeks for 15 to 20 minutes under load. If you are not going to use it before winterizing wait until you dewinterize then do a complete service, oil, plugs, and all filters. Run it then and check for proper voltage out put. Then run it under load and check that it runs your electrical appliances. Hope this helps

ronbro

It should be run maybe every couple weeks for 15 to 20 minutes under load. If you are not going to use it before winterizing wait until you dewinterize then do a complete service, oil, plugs, and all filters. Run it then and check for proper voltage out put. Then run it under load and check that it runs your electrical appliances. Hope this helps

I there anything I need do to the Generator to winterize? I assume it is oil cooled and not water cooled as I see no reference to water in install instructions which is all I have on the unit.

thanks
Ronald

avvidclif

I have an Onan 5500 gas version. Due to the quality of the available gas I run it once a month for about an hour under a load. I also have a propane generator (not onan) that has never smelled gas much less ran on it. I do nothing special as there is no gas to gum it up. I would.
1. Not worry about winterizing
2. Start it next spring for a bit and let it warm up and then change the oil and filter.
3. Enjoy the advantages of propane.