Heavy RUST on underbelly on new Pioneer

proffittk

So I purchased my first camper, a 2019 5th Wheel Pioneer. Beautiful and works great. Not thinking of looking under it at the time of purchase, recently decided to roll around underneath and look it over. Holy crud, rust EVERYWHERE. The suspension, axel, pullout, frame even the bolts. For something brand new I wouldn't EVER expect so much rust. Is this normal?

rhodies1

Depending on when the unit was manufactured,it might have been transported through snowy weather were some salt was used for road conditions.
if your unit is still under warranty,you can contact Heartland,have your vin number and a lot of pictures.NO doubt they won’t admit any responsibility but it’s worth a shot.
You will most likely have to scrap and brush down the unit yourself and re paint.I use Tremclad Gloss Black.
It’s a lot of work but your unit will look nice when finished.

sengli

Seems as if I was told one time that the dealers are supposed to wash off the units if they come in covered with salty road grit underneath. Dont think it happens very often. So if it was built, and shipped in the winter, the roads will cover it with the salty rust causing goo.

proffittk

I pushed the same issue to Heartland, awaiting their response. Will also contact my dealer and see what they say considering I just got it back from them for a bunch of warranty work and upgrades. Thanks all for the info.

I hate to have to do a rust overhaul but if worse comes to worse

NYSUPstater

Here is the data plate. March 2018...somewhat new. Ha

IMO, that unit was shipped during the winter months thus exposed to road salt. Was never washed off upon arrival to dealer so now you got the end result. Did you see/catch this during the walk-thru? Any way of having dealer take care of it for you at this point?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My Prowler looked like this four months after it's build date (see photo).

I commented about this to my dealership and they did something to it under warranty.

Looked good for almost three years but is starting to wear off.

ProwlerFreshDrain-P1000181.jpg

Last edited:

Sowie

Try fluid film protectant in a spray can. Works good for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigdob24

I’ve got a 2018 3560SS and when I got it home noticed more rust than I wanted on the frame and hitch.
I contacted Heartland and they told me it was not covered?
You would think that the manufacturer could put a paint on that would at least last through the Heartland Warrantee.
I roughed the paint up and coated it with a frame paint and a finish coat of rustolium, should last awhile.
BT

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
As I recall I got the same thing from Heartland about the rust 'not being covered'.

It took a little back and forth to get this covered, but eventually my dealer did get the go ahead from Heartland to do something about it.

Makes me wonder how long these trailer frames sit stacked on some back lot (months or possibly years) before they get attached to an RV.