Ramp and Patio Door - 4200 (A different thought)

jimandjean

So i know there have been several posted questions around failures of the doors over water intrusion. So this is bringing two questions to mind:

1) If the doors have not progressed to failure, would there be some merit in drilling weep drains into the frame that faces down when the doors are in the closed position. This would allow any potential moisture to more promptly drain and not cause as much problem

2) Has anyone already tried using a hydrophobic product (e.g. Rustoleum Neverwet) to treat both doors on the side and internal (rough face) surfaces to reduce the water penetration into parts that are causing the intrusion to occur?

Sowie

The frame around the edges is actually a box with wings on door side to wrap around luan and foam core. Like a square tube welded to a U shape channel. It’s hollow around the perimeter. You could drill some holes along bottom but water in the foam still can’t get out unless maybe you go through both sides of the square part. Where water was getting on mine was the bolt penetrations for the hinges and latch mechanism. The Torx looking nuts on inside are actually hollow and water can get around the bolt threads. I would recommend sealing all that up. I also had the inside of my new door sprayed with bed liner to seal up all the perimeter joints and overlapped the edges about 1/2”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk