Heartland now using 2" Receiver Hitch on some 5th Wheels

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I just found this and had to share it. That's right you see it too, a 2" receiver hitch. It is about time. Thank you Heartland.

hoc hitch.PNG

Last edited:

Kbvols

Re: Look what I found on Heartland's website

That is good news. May save me from having one custom made. I suspect that was from a Bighorn due to coffer celings? Thanks for sharing Mark!

CDN

B and B

Our dealers makes them, have one on my Bighorn right now. Nice to see stock now.

jbeletti

I believe LM, BH and BC (plant 2 product) will have these.

I've seen it (image below). You won't be able to pull a vehicle with it but you should be able to more safely add a bike rack to it.

IMG_9271.jpg

DRGalligher

We purchased our 2011 Bighorn new in August of 2010 and ordered one of these immediately straight from Heartland. We've had it ever since for our bikes.

pegmikef

I believe LM, BH and BC (plant 2 product) will have these.

I've seen it (image below). You won't be able to pull a vehicle with it but you should be able to more safely add a bike rack to it.

So Jim, are saying they changed to the 2 inch receiver, but the weight rating is the same as the 1 1/4" receiver was?

sengli

If its a bolt on unit, just like the 1.25 unit we had on our last big horn. That thing flexed like rubber band, with just a couple of bikes on it.

Last edited:

jbeletti

So Jim, are saying they changed to the 2 inch receiver, but the weight rating is the same as the 1 1/4" receiver was?

Mike - I have no details as to the rating of the 2" receiver. I will find out and post it back here though. It's likely safe to assume that Heartland has not engineered and had Lippert build this hitch for towing. So when you remove that use-case, you're not left with many option. That's why I referred to it as a receiver hitch for a bike rack.

CoveredWagon

It is a welded on unit. There are no holes drilled in the hitch to accommodate safety chains. Heartland has it mind for bike racks etc, not for towing. Just saw it in the factory.

carl.swoyer

Mike - I have no details as to the rating of the 2" receiver. I will find out and post it back here though. It's likely safe to assume that Heartland has not engineered and had Lippert build this hitch for towing. So when you remove that use-case, you're not left with many option. That's why I referred to it as a receiver hitch for a bike rack.
I believe that the small receiver is rated for 150 pounds . Meant only for carrying bicycles..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Thanks. I had the small one on my BH, but only used if for a flagpole mounting (which I replaced with the ladder mounts.)

jbeletti

I have heard back from Heartland Engineering on the 2" Receiver:
- 500 pound rating
- Not designed for towing
- Has no safety chain loops
- Is not wired for lights

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)

That's awesome, thanks for the update Jim.

koryscott

Has anyone used their 2" receiver to tow a light vehicle...like a jeep wrangler?

jbeletti

Has anyone used their 2" receiver to tow a light vehicle...like a jeep wrangler?

Kory - I'm hoping you don't get any YES answers to this. The OEM hitch is not rated for towing trailers.

That said, many do tow trailers with their Heartland 5th wheels. All those that do that I've seen are using custom fabricated/installed hitches.

Be safe.

Kathi-27

our 2019 lm came with it. Took it off to install my 2 2 inch receiver hitch. anyone interested will be bringing to Goshen rally to sell in june. will be asking 150 obo

koryscott

Kory - I'm hoping you don't get any YES answers to this. The OEM hitch is not rated for towing trailers.

That said, many do tow trailers with their Heartland 5th wheels. All those that do that I've seen are using custom fabricated/installed hitches.

Be safe.

Do you think it would be OK to do it with a custom hitch? Would be flat towing... I still have to measure everything out to determine what overall length will be. From what I have found for the states I would be traveling through, I will have to stay under 65'.

jbeletti

Do you think it would be OK to do it with a custom hitch? Would be flat towing...
Both Heartland and Lippert will have to say that they do not recommend this.

If you're planning to do it regardless, please seek advice from a welder/fabricator that can look at your frame and work with numbers you provide them (loaded weight of second towed vehicle).

From that, they can tell you if they feel it's safe to do, then design and fabricate a hitch system they feel will work. This is how most people approach this.

Last edited: