Looking to purchase - need opinions

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have what looks like to be either a good deal or a hoax. My fiance and I are looking for a good comfortable camper to live in for a hsort time and below is the camper that I have found. Any insight or anything would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide if it is worth it due to a firend that is a Sales manager at an RV lot despises the Heartland brand due to leaking and other issues.

https://littlerock.craigslist.<wbr>org/rvs/6706470033.html

Thanks fellas

jimtoo

Hi tyler.johnson3.

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Your friend probably does not sell Heartland units where he works, so he will not recommend them. But Heartland makes a great unit. I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon also.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you in a Heartland unit.
Jim M

MTPockets

My opinion; we’ve purchased several RV’s in our life... the key to happiness is be verrrry patient, don’t rush on emotion. There are lots and lots of used RV’s out there. If you must have a particular rig, offer 30% - 40% less than asking, then walk away if they don’t accept the offer.. Most sellers are pretty desperate and get few if any offers. there’s a good chance they will call you back and accept, and a better chance of you finding a better rig at a better deal. Patience.......Patience....

carl.swoyer

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have what looks like to be either a good deal or a hoax. My fiance and I are looking for a good comfortable camper to live in for a hsort time and below is the camper that I have found. Any insight or anything would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide if it is worth it due to a firend that is a Sales manager at an RV lot despises the Heartland brand due to leaking and other issues.

https://littlerock.craigslist.org/rvs/6706470033.html

Thanks fellas
Well ,
All my experience 12 year's nearly full time.
When I purchased my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel new I spent 9 months in a service bay. I never left the rig and slept in the service bay in my rig .
My long stay was an eye opener.
I will promise you that no matter what you buy you will have warranty work. I sat next to many high end RVs. Prevost to pop up campers by all manufacturers.
They all had equal issues.
My suggestion to you become an expert on how to inspect an RV.
A used rig may be easier to see issues, but you can have them fixed as part of the sale.
So much for you to look at.
Signs of water leaking, proper roof sealant, no holes or soft spots on the roof, no sign of the the side walls delamination, inspect the area around the pinbox for frame flex. Inspect all the silicone sealant for adhesion.
Cracked silicone around the pinbox could be a sign of pin box issues. You would notice that with the fifth wheel hooked up or the front Jack's off the ground via a forklift. Turn on all the appliances , AC's,frig, hot water microwave,fan, lights, Run all water faucet's looking for leaks. If you have time go see the rig when it's raining, harder the better. Opening of the slides to see any issues from water intrusion when raining. Inspect the underside of the slides for solid wood. Check out the dot numbers for the tires to see how old they really are.
This should not a discouraging process but so long as you inspect, your Heartland family can always answer your question.
I believe that my Heartland is an excellent product. For me mine is already going on seven years old and is still looking great no issue other than upkeep. Remember every manufacturer has the same issues.
Good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
642d36f6da2eb0a02117dc348c374476.jpg
0a132a2cd1ecb022a30c911cef8f5213.jpg

avvidclif

Folks wake up and read the post, he's buying a used unit. 2014 Gateway model. All of the warranty stuff doesn't count.

It looks very nice and it's stored under cover. But it's 5-6 years old. If you are comfortable with the price I would suggest contacting a local independent RV repair shop, not a dealer for any brand, and pay for an inspection. It may cost $2-300 (don't have a clue really) but it will be money very well spent to have a professional eyeball look it over from stem to stern. It may need to be re-caulked due to age but that will come out in the inspection. Also check the age of the tires, if original they should be replaced as they have aged out. That is if you be traveling. A short trip and parked, cross your fingers. Again a professional inspection should cover that.

NADA shows low retail at $26,200 FWIW.

Thanks fellas. I just went and finally looked at it in person, all slide floors are solid inside and out, no water stains anywhere. Silicone looks good. The owner washes it after every use. And when. In storage it stays under an awning.

Now to actually decide and his price is extremely fair and he won't budge.

I ha e to fine a rail kit and hitch now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Download a good PDI or two and take it with you when you look at it again. Be prepared to spend the time going over the list. Have water and power available. Check every thing. If it passes, spend a night in it before you sign the check.

GregP

I agree with Clif, you might want to consider tires as a possible after purchase expense due to the age. Particularly if you are planning any travel. Also, brakes, bearings and other running gear should be checked/serviced as needed. This isn't intended to scare you off from the purchase, but these are normal maintenance issues that you would be considering even if you bought new. We have had our Heartland since 2014 and travelled extensively with it and are very happy with the rig. We would get another in a heartbeat, but we like what we have and will hopefully keep it until we are done with it. Good luck!

Chippendale

That is a 2014 Gateway 3300ML rear kitchen. I had that exact year and model trailer purchased new and as best I can remember had very little problems with it. My one warning is to be real careful when opening and closing the two rear slides. When you are setting up the trailer, always open the dining (door side) slide first. Walk back and look down over the counter top at the drawers in the base cabinet by the refrigerator and be sure they are closed tight. You might want to take a flashlight with you. The first time I took it on a long trip, I did not check and when I opened the drivers side slide there was a loud crunching noise. I thought I was hitting the pedestal outside so I stopped and went out and looked, no problem, so I went back in and finished destroying the bottom drawer. In travel, the bottom drawer had slid open and was caught on the frame by the refrigerator.

When preparing to travel, be sure the aforementioned drawers are closed tight and then be sure the top of the dining table is turned to the "travel position" because it will poke a hole into the island cabinet base when the slide is closing.

One other thing, I think the seller mentioned that it had a king size bed and I think that model only came with queen size. You might want to check that but in my opinion it doesn't make much difference because the RV king size aren't much wider than the queen size.

Like someone else said, I woudn't pay too much attention to what your RV salesman friend says, I would just spend a few dollars and have it professionally inspected (not by a dealer) and if it passes and you make a deal with the owner enjoy it. When I first purchased my Gateway I didn't know anyone who had a Heartland and now most of my closest friends own Heartlands. Don't be scared to purchase one. Good Luck

carl.swoyer

Folks wake up and read the post, he's buying a used unit. 2014 Gateway model. All of the warranty stuff doesn't count.

It looks very nice and it's stored under cover. But it's 5-6 years old. If you are comfortable with the price I would suggest contacting a local independent RV repair shop, not a dealer for any brand, and pay for an inspection. It may cost $2-300 (don't have a clue really) but it will be money very well spent to have a professional eyeball look it over from stem to stern. It may need to be re-caulked due to age but that will come out in the inspection. Also check the age of the tires, if original they should be replaced as they have aged out. That is if you be traveling. A short trip and parked, cross your fingers. Again a professional inspection should cover that.

NADA shows low retail at $26,200 FWIW.
I believe that everyone else is awake. Just taking a different approach in their answers. Speaking from personal experience. FYI
Have a great day

Alright, we are working on the financing now. And I will do another thorough check before putting it behind the truck. The problem being in a such a rural area is the lack of RV support where the camper is currently located (nearly 2 hrs from closest dealer). The seller is very honest and has given me his business and home address, phone numbers and emails in case something were to pop up in the near future. All the water worked fine, A/C and heat did as well. This camper actually has the heated floor as well, which is something new to me. Every slide out has good functioning and clean awnings over them. And he just recently replaced the tires with 14-ply tires and they still have the little "nobbies" on the tires and the tread depth looks new.

I appreciate all of your help and if you have any recommendations on financing companies or such let me know. Right now I am looking at Good Sam and USAA (My bank).

Tyler

carl.swoyer

Alright, we are working on the financing now. And I will do another thorough check before putting it behind the truck. The problem being in a such a rural area is the lack of RV support where the camper is currently located (nearly 2 hrs from closest dealer). The seller is very honest and has given me his business and home address, phone numbers and emails in case something were to pop up in the near future. All the water worked fine, A/C and heat did as well. This camper actually has the heated floor as well, which is something new to me. Every slide out has good functioning and clean awnings over them. And he just recently replaced the tires with 14-ply tires and they still have the little "nobbies" on the tires and the tread depth looks new.

I appreciate all of your help and if you have any recommendations on financing companies or such let me know. Right now I am looking at Good Sam and USAA (My bank).

Tyler
USAA is expensive
Try Excell credit@ 1-800-337-7774.
Ask for Tom or Krista.
I used them for my 2017 boat loan.
They were excellent for the whole process. I believe that they are out of Orlando FL.

CoveredWagon

Bank of the West, I think through Good Sam. Rate is dependent on the amount you borrow and length of the loan and was the best rate I found at the time.