Anybody using Elephant pads

imchud

I have been thinking about switching my landing pads for the JT Elephant foot pads... www.jtrv.com/products_elephant_foot.html -- I have the standard metal shoes mounted on my B/H... The only problem is i have taken it to the dealer 2 time since I bought it, they don't have a paved area where they store them while waiting for service it's just gravel with uneven ground... Both times when they set it down they must have set it in some small ruts... When I picked it up the shoes were bent up on both ends, and not by a little, they were bent up approx 2 inches on each end:confused:... I guess it was from the weight of the coach pushing down in the center of the unsupported shoe (due to the rut)... Both times I brought it up to dealer and both times they removed them and pounded them out... I know its dumb to worry about the shoes, but it bugs me, I'm not sure of the guage of steel used on the existing shoes but if I don't go with the Eleaphant pads I will have some custom ones made from 3/16 plate steel, I think??

Tommy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been using the factory pads since new and mine are bent up a little but nowhere near 2". I always chock the tires both sides front and rear and then use a block under the pads for better support. The reason I chock is to keep from rolling/tipping off the blocks. I know some folks are against blocks but it's a personal choice. Those Elephant pads look pretty good though.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Mark and Kristy (ziggy) have them on their 3670. They look really nice and they don't look like they would bend as easily. Nice big pad that wouldn't sink into the ground as readily I think. They have a nice set-up with the JT's and the Elephant feet. Rock solid feeling to the trailer.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We bought the elephant feet when we bought the JT's. They do seem to help with stability as well as spread the weight out further. We still put the plastic square "block" that is only about an inch thick under each foot to keep rocks from digging into the soft rubber shoes we have on the elephant feet.

Kristy

laffman

I don't have any experience with them but they looked like a good idea for my situation.

I just bought my Sundance 3300RLB last weekend and take delivery this Monday. I had the dealer add the JT Strong Arms and Elephant Pads to the unit before delivery. The reason I added this is that I have a seasonal campsite at Silver Lake, MI, which is a very sandy region. The 5er is going to sit on this site for several years without moving, so a larger contact area for the front landing gear looked like a good idea.