Upgrade from Elkridge

BandK

In preparation for retirement, we are looking to upgrade from our 2013 34qsrl. However, if the workmanship in the landmark is anything like that in the Elkridge , we will most definitely look to another manufacturer. We recently experienced the kitchen grey water tank coming loose and landing on an axle. The angle supports bowed and one strap broke. The manner in which the straps are secured is a guaranteed failure point. The angle supports are not strong enough to hold the tank. While under the belly, i noticed a broken weld on a crossmember to the main frame. The weld was faulty, as in no penetration. Also found 3 hydraulic hose crimps leaking. Wiring and hoses just laying on the underside insulation. This is only what i could see in the 5' section that i cut out to access the tank.
We purchased this rig new in 2013. Have gone through working out the bugs. But more things keep happening. We were hoping that it would last at least until paid for. However, i believe if we wait that long, it won't be worth a dime.
This has never been on a dirt road. Has been on 2 long trips (2000mi, and a 4000mi) the rest have been mostly weekend trips.
If this is representative of heartlands quality, we will be going elsewhere!

5a44a65205dc208fc675be547a68597a.jpg
a906d41b7d0efdc446f04512fe837ce7.jpg
709587267dd2a0583bbdfe25b5724de1.jpg
3da4c4f978d1e4511ced40bf131371f7.jpg
f7ef6f1ff1046cb253489f6381d786d5.jpg
03b28fc0eb4bc77f194c4acd80bf2356.jpg
fa824588e0947051b77dada4a20163b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

justafordguy

I hate to say it but my Gateway looks just like that under there. It seems that there is no quality control on any of these campers anymore. :(

jbeletti

B&K,

I can't speak for all Heartland brands, but the tank support system on the last several Landmarks I've used is different (better) than your 2013 Elkridge.

In terms of wiring and hydraulic lines in the underbelly, I'd say the Landmark is going to be similar.

If the inference is that "this is a mess" - I'd agree that it's "messy looking".

If the inference is that all of these lines and wires will be negatively affected because they lay loose - "I'd disagree with that".

This all said, I would be as happy as the next guy if we had dedicated wiring raceways or wiring loops for wire runs to run in. The reality is, I just don't see it happening. Not here or likely anywhere at these price points.

As for a poor weld and poor hydraulic connector crimps - there's no excuse for that.

Only you can make the best purchase decision for you. As you go through that process, I encourage you to take as many plant tours as you can. Take your camera and take pictures at the various production stages. Study them all and see if you can draw some conclusions as to the build quality, especially as it relates to predicted reliability.

We hope to keep you in the Heartland family but if you determine another brand is best for you, we here will understand, wish you the best and hope that we'll see you at a chapter rally down the road.