Andersen 5th wheel adapter - thoughts?

darkhawk

after finding out i am overweight on the truck, i talked the wife into letting me purchase a new trunk. we are getting a short bed. this leads to needing a new hitch. i was looking at a pull rite slider and the salesman also showed me the [h=1]Anderson Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection 2[/h]
this weighs less than 50 lbs. so about 250 lbs goes out of the bed. any thoughts on this bad boy?

Jerry

Fox

Re: andersen 5th wheel adapter

The AUH has been spoken highly of for several years now.
I've had one for two months - I like it well enough. I'll like it much more when I need to remove it.

Lynn1130

Look at the bottom of this page in "Similar Threads" and you will find quite a list of information (other conversations) concerning the Andersen. Most of us who have them swear by them and you do not need a slider, even with another type of hitch.

Eric1234

Hi Jerry,

I have been to from New York to California with an andersen hitch on a shorted truck with no problems. a few aspects i like about the andersen are...

1. with the hitch ball there is no question about the trailer being locked into the truck. I almost dropped my trailer with a regular fifth wheel hitch because the jaws were not locked.

2. you can take the hitch out easily without breaking your back.

3. vs. the reese goosebox its easier to visualize the ball for hitching.

4. Made in the USA

have a good night

Eric

avvidclif

I recently bought an Anderson hitch as my new (to me) truck had a gooseneck ball. My wife and I couldn't stand it so the next day we hooked up and made about a 100 mi lap just to get a feel for the new truck. Once on I-30 her first comment was, "It doesn't clunk and make any noise". I'm going on a longer run Thur and will know more but so far I feel it was worth it. As my truck is a long bed I can't comment on a short bed and turning problems. FWIW though our previous hitch was a non slider Curt in a 6.5" bed Ford and we had no problems with turns.

CoveredWagon

Do that with any other hitch 😉 Sorry I forgot how to rotate the picture.
We’re on year two with ours. 😊

9B42080B-2954-4C6D-8A72-EB1DBD70199A.jpg

I have the Anderson altimate hitch and have pulled approx 4000 miles with it so far.
Like what was said in a previous post, there is no doubt about the connection when dropping the king pin down on the ball.
No noise, no clunking, easy hook up and easy unhook.
I can take it out of the bed of the truck in five minutes and hang it on the garage wall.
Can't beat it.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Or when you find that unexpected purchase and need to empty the bed out at the last moment.

282f7dc.jpg

orion7144

I love ours. Their customer service is top notch too. If you have the newer Fords you will need a different ball adapter for the bed. The original post is a tad too long but if you have a bed mat you do not need the shorter piece. If you do Andersen will send it for free.

PondSkum

Is anyone using the rail mount Andersen hitch? It seems to be cheaper, and I already have the rail adapter for my truck and haven't bought a gooseneck ball yet.

Fox

I had to google it ...

Attachments

• 3200-ultimate-rail-and-kp-coupler.jpg
    3200-ultimate-rail-and-kp-coupler.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 32

Lynn1130

The rail mount is what I use and could not be happier. Someone mentioned customer service and I broke the cone on mine and called Andersen. They had a new one, under warranty, out to me in two days.

Bogie

I have the Anderson as well. So far pulled over 4K miles with not issues. As others have stated, very easy hitch and unhitch. I have had problems in the past with my Superglide conventional jaw hitch. Sometimes had trouble getting the jaws to lock or unlock if not totally straight or level between the truck and trailer. This is never a problem with the Anderson.

One note though.... At the time I purchased mine, Anderson rep said safety chains were only required in one state. Michigan, I think. However in a personal conversation with the California Highway Patrol, they consider this type of hitch a ball hitch and say safety chains are required. So I installed the Anderson bolts with rings for the safety chains on the kingpin coupler. An inexpensive addition.

orion7144

They also have a kit that has a plate that goes over the gooseneck ball that the chains attach to. When I gonvamping tomorrow and I remember I will snap a picture

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wmnmy

Is anyone using the rail mount Andersen hitch? It seems to be cheaper, and I already have the rail adapter for my truck and haven't bought a gooseneck ball yet.
I am using the rail mount I have the Reese adapter plate that fits in my puck system and it works great .

VMooreSR

I'm using the rail mount also and couldn't be happier, customer service is outstanding too!!