Thoughts and opinions - Lafayette, Newport, or???

Hello All!

Been lurking on your great site for a while now. Wanted to let you all know we went to a local RV show in the Seattle area last weekend. We went last year too and fell in love with several of the Landmark 365's. This year we saw the new Lafayette. While it was beautiful, and we really like the floorpan, there were a couple things that drew mw away.

Last year we really saw really liked the Newport, Madison and Oshkosh - with the Newport being the biggest contender for our future purchase. After seeing the new Lafayette photos which we first viewed on this site. We were excited to go see one in person. First impressions were that it was a beautiful RV. However, a couple minor things that made me shake my head - wondering who engineered this??? For example, the two recliner chairs in the LR. They were the type that had heat, massage, recline etc. The control pad with the small blue LED lights and functions (located at the arm of each recliner), I believe were upside down. When sitting in the chair, which is when I presume you would use the controls- you couldn't read the functions while seated because they were upside down. Thought this was kind of weird!! Another thing that struck me was the light controls, at least one of them was on the outward side of one of these recliners. Just seemed like an odd, out of the way place to locate the switch. Finally, upon exiting the RV I nearly sliced my head open on one of the basement doors! They seemed to open with a piston assist actuator, but I believe they only opened approximately 90 degrees - which for that particular door was about my forehead level!

Obviously, these are my opinions and observations only. Was wondering if any of you that own the Newport could say whether it has similar issues as the Lafayette? One final concern I have - is the residential fridge. We're not experienced RV'ers, so unsure how this works when on the road for a long distance w/o stopping every 6, 8 hours, is there a risk of your food spoiling? I understand solar/batteries is an option, which I think would be a great idea. Thanks in advance for any input!! Steve

travlingman

I would say there was a slide above the baggage door and it is set to only open 90 degrees because of that.

The firdge is no problem when traveling. It has an inverter and runs off of the batteries. We go 8 hours and the fridge is the same temps as when we left.

Oldelevatorman

Hello All!

Been lurking on your great site for a while now. Wanted to let you all know we went to a local RV show in the Seattle area last weekend. We went last year too and fell in love with several of the Landmark 365's. This year we saw the new Lafayette. While it was beautiful, and we really like the floorpan, there were a couple things that drew mw away.

Last year we really saw really liked the Newport, Madison and Oshkosh - with the Newport being the biggest contender for our future purchase. After seeing the new Lafayette photos which we first viewed on this site. We were excited to go see one in person. First impressions were that it was a beautiful RV. However, a couple minor things that made me shake my head - wondering who engineered this??? For example, the two recliner chairs in the LR. They were the type that had heat, massage, recline etc. The control pad with the small blue LED lights and functions (located at the arm of each recliner), I believe were upside down. When sitting in the chair, which is when I presume you would use the controls- you couldn't read the functions while seated because they were upside down. Thought this was kind of weird!! Another thing that struck me was the light controls, at least one of them was on the outward side of one of these recliners. Just seemed like an odd, out of the way place to locate the switch. Finally, upon exiting the RV I nearly sliced my head open on one of the basement doors! They seemed to open with a piston assist actuator, but I believe they only opened approximately 90 degrees - which for that particular door was about my forehead level!

Obviously, these are my opinions and observations only. Was wondering if any of you that own the Newport could say whether it has similar issues as the Lafayette? One final concern I have - is the residential fridge. We're not experienced RV'ers, so unsure how this works when on the road for a long distance w/o stopping every 6, 8 hours, is there a risk of your food spoiling? I understand solar/batteries is an option, which I think would be a great idea. Thanks in advance for any input!! Steve

The bedroom slide is above the baggage door on the drivers side. The door will open past 90 degrees with slight pressure on the door and we put a cut pool noodle on the bottom of the slide to protect the door! Just don't force it. The fridge stays cold with the inverter on during travel. We've been 8 hours on the road and had no trouble with the fridge. We've been traveling full time in our Newport for 19 months and are still very happy with our Heartland! They are plenty of folks here on the forum and the Owners Club happy to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bedroom slide is above the baggage door on the drivers side. The door will open past 90 degrees with slight pressure on the door and we put a cut pool noodle on the bottom of the slide to protect the door! Just don't force it. The fridge stays cold with the inverter on during travel. We've been 8 hours on the road and had no trouble with the fridge. We've been traveling full time in our Newport for 19 months and are still very happy with our Heartland! They are plenty of folks here on the forum and the Owners Club happy to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if any owners of Newports could respond to my comment on the recliner controls, specifically when your sitting in the chairs is the text identifying the controls upside down? I know this is minor and you would sure get used to the controls in time - it just seems odd to me that this is how the controls were intended.

Thanks,
Steve

danemayer

Wonder if any owners of Newports could respond to my comment on the recliner controls, specifically when your sitting in the chairs is the text identifying the controls upside down? I know this is minor and you would sure get used to the controls in time - it just seems odd to me that this is how the controls were intended.

Thanks,
Steve
Maybe the furniture was assembled incorrectly. Have you looked to see if it can be rotated?

Btw, Heartland buys the furniture. The furniture makers probably show their new products and someone at Heartland makes a selection. Heartland probably didn't have anything to do with the design.