Portable Grill - Barbecue Recommendations Please

Fox

I've said this before ... a grill that weighs over 40 pounds is not my idea of "portable"; my vote also goes to the Weber Q.

And I do have a Traeger smoker (left at home).

TrailCreek

Mecco electric grill. Simple to use and clean. I've worn out 4, working on #5 over 30 years. Best heat control, even cooking, relatively cheap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Traeger replaced our Scout Grills with new ones and so far I am pleased with it. I smoked a rack of ribs last weekend and they came out good, but I did have to modify the temps and time from what I had been using on my larger Traegers. Tonight I'm trying a spatchcock chicken.

For those of you that don't remember, I earlier in this thread warned of the poor performance of the Scout regarding temperature control. The replacement grill still has wide swings, but it always settles back down to the target temperatures needed for smoking (150, 180, or 225). If all goes well I now plan on carrying the Scout in place of my Traeger Tailgater (smaller foot print and 20 pounds lighter).

Alan_B

I just bought our second Coleman Road Trip grill. The first one lasted 16 years and would still be going strong if I had not dropped the king pin on it ☹️

It fits a cedar plank for salmon that we cook frequently. With the two sides, I can regulate the temperarature for just about anything.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago I had a Coleman Road Kill, it blew up. Coleman sent me two new ones which I gave away. Both recipients love them.
Go figure.

Peace
Dave

new2toyhauler

new2toyhauler
[h=1]Char-Broil Grill2Go Tru-Infrared Portable Gas Grill[/h]
613b5afd-651d-4629-9c4b-9e6b5c2a6d5e_1.a6eedb025f1f641c58f761bfb367fc1e.png

If you cook with GAS this is the most efficient, lowest cost unit that I have found. I use Char-Broil at home for my gas grill needs and when I found this unit at Lowe's I grabbed one 3 years ago and have never regretted my choice. 2-4 people no problem, no flare-ups due to design, makes fabulous steaks and great hot dogs.

Fox

Traeger replaced our Scout Grills with new ones and so far I am pleased with it. I smoked a rack of ribs last weekend and they came out good, but I did have to modify the temps and time from what I had been using on my larger Traegers. Tonight I'm trying a spatchcock chicken.

For those of you that don't remember, I earlier in this thread warned of the poor performance of the Scout regarding temperature control. The replacement grill still has wide swings, but it always settles back down to the target temperatures needed for smoking (150, 180, or 225). If all goes well I now plan on carrying the Scout in place of my Traeger Tailgater (smaller foot print and 20 pounds lighter).

Yours was one of several unfavorable reviews I previously read when I decided against the smaller Traeger units; I was unhappy reading them because I really appreciate my home Traeger Pro unit. Seeing your favorable update now gives me hope, but ... now I've spent an hour reading other reviews and I have some questions.

All of the current reviews tout how it heats quickly and attains high temps, BUT ... my idea of ideal smoking is Low and Slow - and that is my major concern. I typically smoke (falling apart) ribs on a low temp, for 6 hours. Can this Scout maintain a low temp for that period of time? Or will I need to be nearby to add more pellets? Can I leave it unattended for the day (say 5,6, 7 hours)? How long will the pellets hold out if run it on low?

Currently I cook favored smoked meats at home, freeze them, then pack them away in my RV freezer. I would consider this unit (even at 45 pounds) IF I could cook this way.

pegmikef

Yours was one of several unfavorable reviews I previously read when I decided against the smaller Traeger units; I was unhappy reading them because I really appreciate my home Traeger Pro unit. Seeing your favorable update now gives me hope, but ... now I've spent an hour reading other reviews and I have some questions.

All of the current reviews tout how it heats quickly and attains high temps, BUT ... my idea of ideal smoking is Low and Slow - and that is my major concern. I typically smoke (falling apart) ribs on a low temp, for 6 hours. Can this Scout maintain a low temp for that period of time? Or will I need to be nearby to add more pellets? Can I leave it unattended for the day (say 5,6, 7 hours)? How long will the pellets hold out if run it on low?

Currently I cook favored smoked meats at home, freeze them, then pack them away in my RV freezer. I would consider this unit (even at 45 pounds) IF I could cook this way.

On my Traeger Tailgater I always smoke ribs at 225 using a 2 2 2 cooking time regimen. Two hours bone side down, two hours bone side up, and two hours in tented sealed tin foil with a half of cup of water in them. They always come out as you described and quite moist. I tried a rack on the scout, but reduced the temp to 180 because of the smaller oven space. After the first two hours it looked like they were cooking too fast, so I reduced the temp to 150 for the remaining four hours. They came out very good, but still not like the ones on the tailgater. I plan on using 150 and maybe reducing the cooking time a little.
I also did a spatchcock chicken at 450 and it cooked too fast in the center, and not fast enough on the ends, so I am going to reduce the temp and increase the time. You have to experiment a little.

Regarding pellets. The hopper only holds five pounds. Since you have to open the cover at check/add pellets, I just filled the hopper when I opened the lid to turn the ribs and to foil the ribs. At smoking temps it is probably good for about three hours (that's a guess, based on what was left after two hours). I like it enough to carry it instead of the Tailgater.

- - - Updated - - -

Fox

I smoked three ribs last weekend (per guests request); I will be doing three more ribs this Sunday (per some different guests request). I remove the membrane AND cook bone down.
I use mustard as the basic stickum, it holds the following spices/ rubs very well - with no mustard flavor.

Then I use the 3-2-1 method:

3 hours at 225*,
then separately tightly tent them - with apple juice inside. Return to grill

2 hours at 250*
Then un-tent them (beware the steam), return to grill and slather with choice of BBQ sauce.

1 hour on the lowest smoke setting (150*?).

They always fall apart so be careful bringing them inside to rest.

Getting back to the gist of the article, if it's incapable of being left alone for longer periods (my butts smoke from 20-26 hours/ checked at 6-8 hour intervals) then I believe I'll continue to smoke them at home. That works for me, we just won't have the wood smell hanging over the campground - teasing everyone.

Here's a smoke from last August:

Attachments

• 20180812_173219.jpg
    20180812_173219.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Fox

My first smoker (propane) was always too hot, over-cooking everything I put in it. While not as dried out (nor charred) the electric smoker did nothing for me or the meat.
BUT - my Wood Pellet smoker (Traeger) makes incredible eats - and the smells will drive others wild.

With wood pellets it is a relatively quick fire start up and shut down; have I mentioned the wood fire smell? Now mix in the smells of slow cooked meat. My recommendation is y'all should try a wood pellet smoker (your choice of make/ model) and join in on the fun.

Please note that I'm purposely not including charcoal smokers. They also do an incredible job - but with a large inconvenience factor; slow start up, very slow shut down. And how many can carry their green egg in a cargo bay?

Here are some Boston Butts (start point, 16 hours on, and 24-26 hours final product). I leave the fat cap on them (but slice into it); while making for a more messy cleanup (and likely adding to the cook time) smoking the meat with the fat on top helps keep it moist.

I remove when meat internal temp hits 200*, allowing a minimum 30 min. covered rest before serving; it can be pulled off the bone with just a fork.

Real southerners (not this d@^n yankee) would say it's so good it'd make you slap your momma. Speaking of such - when did you last talk to your momma?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 16 hours.jpg
    16 hours.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Final.jpg
    Final.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

carl.swoyer

I am looking for a good, compact Portable grill - Barbecue for my rig. Space is becoming a premium and I need something that can cook for 2 normally, and up to 4 persons at a push.

Recommendations please
I smoked a whole chicken on my Cobb smoker.
It was done in 3.5 hours.
It was extremely moist and delicious.
e786cc4641594864037c4fa7cfb7ef8c.jpg
IMG_20181026_141916962_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have two used Weber Q grills for sale. Complete with folding rolling stands, covers and storage bags. PM if interested. We sold our rig last summer and have gear we no linger need or use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

We replaced our old yet was trusty Olympian grill last year after 15 years of use. Like many that have replied, went with the largest Weber Q (not on wheels) and it truly packs a punch for grilling as I have to re-read the instructions cuz it cooks things pretty fast. Example: Delmonico steaks should take approx 15 minutes and this grill zaps them in about 1/2 the time and yet are done to our liking still. Easy to clean up. I would take up John Dar's offer if anyone is looking for a grill.