Thanksgiving Cincinnati to Jacksonville

orion7144

We are planing on heading south for Thanksgiving to visit family in the Jax area. I have not figured out my plans there and back but have booked (can still cancel) Hanna Park site 275 for that week (was the last spot I could choose). Our plan heading down is leaving Ohio on the 15th and getting to Jax on the 18th. In between is unknown and heading home on the 23rd is unknown too. Good Sams travel planner shows heading east through South Carolina vs through Atlanta and I am not so sure that is the best way with a big 5th wheel and heading into winter.

FYI Hanna park looks to be a bit tight for a 5th wheel so if you have any experience please let me know.

EDIT.. I was able to find the last spot at Stagecoach RV park in St. Augustine so I canceled Hanna park.

Last edited:

david-steph2018

Just went around Atlanta in June to stay at Stone Mountain Park. We came up from Pensacola to Atlanta via Montgomery (I-85, I think).
For a place to stop look at Stone Mountain Park, maybe you can cut over from there to the east then down to Jaxs.

We drove from Stone Mountain to Corbin Ky, then Corbin to Wilmington Ohio the next day. I think Cincy to Stone Mountain is close to 10-11 hours.

Atlanta with big 5er is a blast. Don't know of a good time to get thru there. We sit in a traffic jam for 3 hours due to a fatal wreck

BarbandFrank

Last fall (and will again this year) we traveled south to Florida through South Carolina.

From Chicago we traveled to Cincinnati, through Knoxville, through Columbia SC, through Charleston SC, through Savannah GA, and down to Flagler Beach FL, which is south of Jacksonville.

We travel towing a 42’ Landmark fifth wheel and we had no problem whatsoever. We use a trucker’s Atlas to chart our route, and we stick with major highways for the most part.

We are full-time RVers and we spend some time in each of these places. The route is certainly doable with fewer stops.

We we did not want to travel through or around Atlanta - so the above route was perfect for us.

Barb

JMP

When entering JAX, FL (from North) I would take I-295 W (Orange Park) versus I-295E (Daytonna Beach) or I-95 through JAX. Both I-295E and I-95 (in JAX) are under construction. (Recommendation).