Black Water Tank Repair

andynefan

It appears my black water tank has "dropped" some and I want to try to fix before it becomes worse. I say "appears" because it looks like it's now sagging and the pipe is bent/bowed from the tank to the drain valve. Is it possible the brackets or strapping that supports the tank have come loose or is it all or none (brackets/strapping is broke). Looking for best advice to get to tank to repair or replace whatever supports it. I have a 2016 Big Country 3150RL.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on where your tank is located several people have used a sheet of plywood under the tank then used a couple lengths of angle iron from side frame to side frame to support the plywood and tank.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Depending on where your tank is located several people have used a sheet of plywood under the tank then used a couple lengths of angle iron from side frame to side frame to support the plywood and tank.

Peace
Dave

Use fairly beefy plywood (3/8 or 1/2 inch) outdoor rated and sealed, or marine grade and sealed. Also, drilling a good sized drainage hole in the wood near its center can help remove any accumulated moisture and minimize wood rot. Seal the exposed wood fibers in the drilled hole, too.

WillyBill

I have done exactly like @wdk450 suggested about a year and a half ago. It has worked perfectly. I even haul with the tanks "Loaded" frequently without problems since we mostly boondock. I also did the same repair under my fresh water tank successfully and I'm most always loaded on that one. Other lighter/easier repairs that I tried did not hold up. IMHO this is the minimum long term solution.

Happy Trails!!!

WB

Lou_and_Bette

Use fairly beefy plywood (3/8 or 1/2 inch) outdoor rated and sealed, or marine grade and sealed. Also, drilling a good sized drainage hole in the wood near its center can help remove any accumulated moisture and minimize wood rot. Seal the exposed wood fibers in the drilled hole, too.

Bill, does the plywood you are recommending come “sealed” or is this something that has to be done by me. If sealing is required after purchasing the wood, what product would you recommend?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Pressure treated plywood is also an option. That would be my first choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jv75353

Bill, does the plywood you are recommending come “sealed” or is this something that has to be done by me. If sealing is required after purchasing the wood, what product would you recommend?
You could use pickup bed liner. It comes in quart and gallon cans and can be found in most automotive parts stores or automotive paint retailers. I’ve used it on the bottom of my in bed fuel tank to eliminate any chance of rust starting on the tank bottom, my bed has the spray in liner.

Lou_and_Bette

See: https://www.hunker.com/13401518/what-types-of-plywood-can-be-used-outdoors

I know I used an Olympic Brand watersealer product, I think their Clear Waterproofing product.

Thanks for the link, Bill. Sure was educational

- - - Updated - - -

Pressure treated plywood is also an option. That would be my first choice

Thanks for the recommendation Lyle. That was my choice after reading Bill’s info. BUT, can it/should it be sealed as Bill indicated he did?

- - - Updated - - -

You could use pickup bed liner. It comes in quart and gallon cans and can be found in most automotive parts stores or automotive paint retailers. I’ve used it on the bottom of my in bed fuel tank to eliminate any chance of rust starting on the tank bottom, my bed has the spray in liner.

I’ve, thanks for that suggestion, hadn’t thought of that product for “sealing” properties before but does add another option.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks for the recommendation Lyle. That was my choice after reading Bill’s info. BUT, can it/should it be sealed as Bill indicated he did?

Not in my opinion. It’ll outlast the life of your BH as is

wdk450

I didn't know about pressure treated plywood when I did the repair. In my experience pressure treated wood is moist, can ooze some of the treatment chemicals, and doesn't take coatings well.