Champion Generator

jhardin

I have been told (by a friend)not to connect my Champion generator to my Landmark. He said it would damage the electronics in the rv. He said I needed to get a Honda because Champion is not pure sine wave. Is this so?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a Champion 4500w inverter genny that we used with our 2015 Landmark all the time without any problems. It would run one a/c and most of the unit without any problems. We just traded for a 2019 Landmark and haven't tried the genny yet but still shouldn't have any problems. You will have to turn the power manager system off to run the genny, at least that is what we had to do with the Key Largo.

bkgarcia

We have a Champion 4500w inverter genny that we used with our 2015 Landmark all the time without any problems. It would run one a/c and most of the unit without any problems. We just traded for a 2019 Landmark and haven't tried the genny yet but still shouldn't have any problems. You will have to turn the power manager system off to run the genny, at least that is what we had to do with the Key Largo.
--------------------
Nathin how do you turn the "power manager system off" I have 2017 Oshkosh with the management system. I see no on off button

eddylives

I have run a champion generator 4000W peak 3000W continuous for years.
It is not an inverter generator so it produces the "dirty power" and I have had no issues with it with three different trailers now.
I don't doubt that the electronics do not like the power but I have had no failures there.
If you properly manage your power consumption it runs the 15K AC without issue.
For light use I run a 2000W honda inverter

Now that said here is something to watch for with Champion or any other brand generator in use.
A friend had issues while dry camping with his champion 3000W generator
Everything went crazy in his trailer and the breakers started tripping etc.
The culprit was the regulator in the generator failed and produced max power over 240 volts which basically cooked everything electrical in the trailer.
Other than an EMS set up there is not many ways to protect the trailer I would assume.
Myself I have a little gadget I bought on amazon that simply plugs into an outlet and has a nice big digital readout of the power that I can keep an eye on

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CDJRLKI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

avvidclif

With the cost of my first 5th wheel abt 7 years ago one of my first purchases was an EMS It's been in 3 now and still works and still in warranty.

RickL

I have Champion model 100263, it’s a 3400 dual fuel inverter. The issue I have with it is the voltage readings I get on the power management system in our Oshkosh, and on our EMS readout. If I understand correctly Champion states almost all their generators are a floating ground. Apparently when hooking up to the shore power the trailer system is looking for a bonded ground.

My voltage readings go anywhere from 69 volts to 99 volts on the trailer readouts. I have checked the voltage at the generator and get 120 volts. In doing some research I have found I need to make up a neutral to ground 110 plug and that will trick the system into supplying the correct power.

dave10a

I have been told (by a friend)not to connect my Champion generator to my Landmark. He said it would damage the electronics in the rv. He said I needed to get a Honda because Champion is not pure sine wave. Is this so?

I tested my Champion 4000 and 2000 inverter for distortion and purity of sine wave at 75% load and I can assure you that there is no problem. I think your friend has had too much to drink. Also I have many hours running both of them over the years and found them to be a well made generator. However, it is not wise to run ANY generator at full load for a long time because they will start "hunting" because transfer switch will cycle because of voltage drop which could cause damage- or if the transfer switch is not being used the generator will struggle and the voltage will drop which will cause damage to motor driven appliances. Motors do not like for run less than 90% of their designed rpm and over heat.
So if the voltage is normal there is no problem. And yes they need to ground plug to bond neutral and ground. Onan is the only one that does not.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I have Champion model 100263, it’s a 3400 dual fuel inverter. The issue I have with it is the voltage readings I get on the power management system in our Oshkosh, and on our EMS readout. If I understand correctly Champion states almost all their generators are a floating ground. Apparently when hooking up to the shore power the trailer system is looking for a bonded ground.

My voltage readings go anywhere from 69 volts to 99 volts on the trailer readouts. I have checked the voltage at the generator and get 120 volts. In doing some research I have found I need to make up a neutral to ground 110 plug and that will trick the system into supplying the correct power.

That's what I did with mine and all work's fine