End of Life Alarm on Atwood CO detectors

wdk450

Gang:
I have an older Bighorn (2007 construction) that came equipped with an Atwood Carbon Monoxide detector. Recently the detector began chirping, and new, tested, batteries didn't fix the problem. I think that probably this CO detector has an internal clock that causes an unresettable chirp alarm when the detector end of life limit has been reached. This clock could be activated the first time batteries are installed, and powered by a capacitor for long periods of time when the batteries are removed. These MOS IC clock chips pull only millionths of an amp current.

I ordered a new CO detector.

Almost to 5,000 posts!

Santanilson

Illinois Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the heads up on the on the CO detector and congrats on getting to the 5000 mark!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The one in our 2008 BH was still functioning as of last month when I removed the batteries for winter storage. The typical life span of CO detectors has been about 10 years, some less, some slightly longer. A lot depends on the environment they're in, i.e., heat, aerosols, dust, outgassing materials. I installed a second CO detector under the counter overhang in the rig's kitchen.