Leak at tv antenna

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
While suffering 4-6" of rain in Oklahoma last month, we discovered water dripping from our TV antenna control in the ceiling of the bedroom. We had removed the original crank up antenna a few years ago and put in a Jack low-profile antenna.

Shortly after we returned, i went on the roof and used some eternabond tap to seal one side of the adapter plate, since it did look like the caulk had started to fail (cracked) on one side.

Well, this week we got more rain, and it's still dripping in from that same spot.

I went up and added more Eternabond tape all over any connectors and the base of the Jack antenna. Hopefully this stops the leak.

Anyone else have experience with a leak at their antenna?

e945838398644b40a00169f671686742.jpg

Not pretty, but it does the job.

025f4219a4d1d2a335491c01c150c105.jpg

Interior with the controller removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Coming back from goshen last year I had a low tree branch take my king antenna off.
That certainly caused a big leak.

At the time there had been thee different minor versions of the antenna, none with compatible parts.

Had to replace the entire antenna

rhodies1

Coming back from goshen last year I had a low tree branch take my king antenna off.
That certainly caused a big leak.

At the time there had been thee different minor versions of the antenna, none with compatible parts.

Had to replace the entire antenna

Hey Guys,there is a Proper base plate made for the King antennas,it is available at camping world.the base plate is made by King to install on the roof to cover up the crappy holes made by the builders of these rigs.This plate is not aftermarket,it is made by King.I used it on my Bighorn because the hole cut by Heartland looked like they used a dull butter knife. Anyway the cost of the plastic plates is around 25 dollars.. it works great, King bolts to it and it bolts to rood with a bead of silicone under out side edges and then lap sealant.
Graet fit by King.

porthole

Retired
[SUP]There are at least 3 different styles of the plate and antenna.
That was the issue when my antenna got ripped off.
I ended up having to change the plate also. [/SUP]

Last edited:

TravelTiger

We did install the King base plate, and made sure it fit properly. I am sure it was the lap sealant degrading over time. I completely sealed the plate and base of the king antenna (and also the plate covering where our Satellite wires go into the roof, to address the possibility of water from somewhere else) with Eternabond.

Overnight and this morning we've had heavy rains.

I am excited to say, NO LEAKS!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We did install the King base plate, and made sure it fit properly. I am sure it was the lap sealant degrading over time. I completely sealed the plate and base of the king antenna (and also the plate covering where our Satellite wires go into the roof, to address the possibility of water from somewhere else) with Eternabond.

Overnight and this morning we've had heavy rains.

I am excited to say, NO LEAKS!

This past summer, I covered all of the caulked areas on the roof with Eternabond tape. All except the base for the antenna, that is, due to the irregular shape and the need for it to rotate. I mounted a Jack antenna on the OEM mast a few years ago. Suppose I could still tape the wider part of the base...next summer. No roof leaks, however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Sadly, we again had heavy, long periods of rain for 4-5 days, and had leaking again at the antenna. I am beginning to suspect it's coming in though the antenna and along the internal coax or other wiring. Since the roof is "laminated" meaning two pieces of Luan with foam sandwiched between them, I am not sure how water could travel through the roof structure from somewhere else. The only thing "upstream" on the roof might be the bedroom AC unit or the location where the satellite wires go into the roof. I checked the sat wire location from inside, and there was no moisture there. I think if it was the AC, I'd have water coming out of a duct before seeing water by the antenna.

EEdawg

I am in Terrell right now and am having the exact same problem with my crank up antenna. Of course its raining again. It is not a big leak. I put the antenna down and turned it to the stow position. For now its not leaking. I guess I will have to go up and check mine when the weather gets better.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sadly, we again had heavy, long periods of rain for 4-5 days, and had leaking again at the antenna. I am beginning to suspect it's coming in though the antenna and along the internal coax or other wiring. Since the roof is "laminated" meaning two pieces of Luan with foam sandwiched between them, I am not sure how water could travel through the roof structure from somewhere else. The only thing "upstream" on the roof might be the bedroom AC unit or the location where the satellite wires go into the roof. I checked the sat wire location from inside, and there was no moisture there. I think if it was the AC, I'd have water coming out of a duct before seeing water by the antenna.

Heavy, driving rain? Could it be wicking in at that joint between the post and base? In your photo, it looks like there is some discoloration there. Does the antenna swivel at that point?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Not driving rain, straight down, fairly steady, moderate (yellow or green on the radar).

The part where the vertical cylinder meets the base is where it swivels, and I guess could be the source.

rhodies1

Traveltiger,based on your pic,your eternabond tape is not covering the base of the antenna,it does not go over the base edges,If you put the tape down and then installed the antenna on top..The water is running in under the base..try and get the proper base at CW made by King for these antennas.I used the base and sealed with caulk and have never had an issue.

TravelTiger

I beg to differ on having the correct attachment plate and it being sealed. This antenna has been in place about 2 years prior to leaking. This pic shows where I first covered an obvious crack in sealant. It didn't stop the leak. So I cleaned and covered the entire thing with eternabond tape... the resulting picture earlier in the thread.

5c61b3725eb0acc44fe3e68cf7332ebb.png

First attempt

21de05312c2a20e9690b325f8c614a2b.jpg

Second attempt