Soot from hot water heater

KyleC

Okay guys/gals. I need help. The flame from the hot water heater is wrapping through the pipe and coming almost to the exhaust vent.... Causing a ton of soot coming up the exterior wall. It's a gas only hot water heater. Any thoughts? This doesn't seem safe so I shut it off. IMG_20181013_180201541.jpegIMG_20181013_180128188.jpegIMG_20181013_180136572.jpegIMG_20181013_180124232.jpeg

2017 Pathfinder SL towing Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx

Last edited by a moderator:

SNOKING

Okay guys/gals. I need help. The flame from the hot water heater is wrapping through the pipe and coming almost to the exhaust vent.... Causing a ton of soot coming up the exterior wall. It's a gas only hot water heater. Any thoughts? This doesn't seem safe so I shut it off. View attachment 59735View attachment 59736View attachment 59737View attachment 59738

2017 Pathfinder SL towing Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx
\
It is not burning correctly. Obstruction in the air way or the unit itself has a problem. Mud Daubers? Chris

rhodies1

As mentioned,you are using all fuel with little to no air mixture.check the pipe on the heater that has a small metal plate that can be moved to adjust air flow mixture.It should be held in place by a metal screw,maybe it’s lose and the plate had slide blocking off you sir flow.also check for blockage by bugs etc.

jerryjay11

Looking at your air adjustment there is plenty of room to open it more. Loosen the hex head screw and slide the air adjustment to the left. Looking at the air adjustment on my HWH it is about 50% open. If that doesn't clear it up try to see if there is any obstruction in the burner and exhaust tubes that would prevent free flow. Though you would probably see soot at the burner tube side. From here you need to look at your orifice (clean) and regulator.

Lynn1130

No offense but I would think it should be the other way around. See if there is some obstruction and check the system completely before making adjustments in the fuel flow. I would think that it would not just "jump out" of adjustment but that something else when wrong to cause the problem and that might be an obstruction.

jerryjay11

No offense but I would think it should be the other way around. See if there is some obstruction and check the system completely before making adjustments in the fuel flow. I would think that it would not just "jump out" of adjustment but that something else when wrong to cause the problem and that might be an obstruction.

True, though I didn't bother to list it in the order I would approach it, beginning with obstructions and then cleaning the burner tube and orifice.

If there is an obstruction, even a partial, the air adjustment won't correct the flame if it is inside of the heat exchanger passage.