Calking your rv/ travel trailer

I own a 2008 Heartland Nort Trail 31RED Travel trailr. I have had the unit calked every two years from the time I bought it. This unit is the one with the plastic cover in place of a rear bumper. All the times every other place needing calking replaced was replaced. That is except the bumper. Inside the bumper is the floor edge and the fabric that covers the bottom of the unit. It is folded up and is secured witn screws to the wall, and the plastic bumper is placed over it and screwed to the wall and to along the bottom edge. If the top of the plastic bumper is NOT calked along the top edge, water can run down the wall enter the area between the fabric and into the flooring. Over time, it destroys the sub floor. It's right front of the entertainment cablets and can even make a hole there.

I learned this by having it repaired and found that was a very small opening along the top edge of the bumper. It allowed water to flow down the wall between the cover and into the flooring like a funnel. The cost of repair and improving the workmanship of the unit was estimated at $5-6 thousand.DSC_0004 - Copy.jpgDSC_0001.jpgDSC_0004 (1).jpgDSC_0003.jpg

Best advise CALK EVERYTHING!
BTW the roof is fine. Was at all the time.

Last edited:

wdk450

I haven't seen your type/model of trailer, but from what you describe I would wonder if you could benefit from a strip of Eternabond (or Dicor ) thick roof sealing tape cut in a strip to fit the sealing area you describe. https://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-p/cr-rs.htm

Also, you might want to lessen the amount of water the seal has to resist by putting a rain diversion gutter above it. This self adhesive gutter is made for RV windows, and I installed it on mine just to make the view after rain better out of the windows, but it might work well for your needs:
http://rvgutters.com/ezervgutters.aspx

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Remove the plastic cover and run butyl dealing tape along the top flange then reinstall it. Then put a strip of Eternabond tape over the joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk