ATF: Cyclone - Slide roof issue

Rawhide

We have a 2017 cyclone 3611 js. 20 months old. Has been in the shop 4 1/2 months. While at the shop in Oct 2017 they called and said we had damage to the roof on our large slide. Not warranty because it was physical damage. We have a $1000 ded. On our ins. So we decided to pay for the repairs. In June we were putting in the slide when it jambed. The upper part caught on the opening. Tore the roof again. We now realize the small slide must be closed before the large slide can be closed or it will catch, jamb and damage the roof.
We went back to the dealer and to Heartland. We feel we should not have paid for the first repair a ND certainly not the 2nd. They've denied our claims for both and say we must pay again because the slide is misaligned. Seems to me the slide was never properly aligned and should have been corrected.

danemayer

We now realize the small slide must be closed before the large slide can be closed or it will catch, jamb and damage the roof.

Sounds like you have a "slide in slide". When you say the small slide must be closed first, does that mean that no damage occurs if you operate it in that sequence?

Rawhide

Yes, we have the slide in a slide. It works OK, no damage, if we put the smaller slide in first. If they would have put these both on the same switch so the small would always close first it wouldn't be an issue.

danemayer

I'm inclined to agree with you that if the order of operation is the sole cause of the damage, it should have been designed differently. You might call Heartland directly and have a nice conversation about how you're supposed to know the correct order of operation to prevent damage.

jeffdee

Yes, we have the slide in a slide. It works OK, no damage, if we put the smaller slide in first. If they would have put these both on the same switch so the small would always close first it wouldn't be an issue.

Either that or a limit switch which would have electrically enforced the sequence of small slide first, large slide second. This sounds like a design issue and Heartland should step up. Best of luck to you!

Rawhide

Thanks for your response. I have gone to Heartland with both of those points. The person I talked with said he was not aware of anyone else having this problem. My dealer had reported that it was caused because the slide was misaligned. Alignments are only covered for 90 days. If it was never properly aligned then I have an issue with the dealer. So, because the dealer replaced the roof once, which I paid for, I definitely have an issue with them. The dealer said they had it aligned properly and the alignment changed from use. So where does that leave us?
I also brought up the switch issue. If there were relays keeping the large slide in place until the small slide went in this may not happen. He said the two slides operate differently so they couldn't do that. I say BS. All they would need are contacts that wouldn't match until the small slide was in. Not a big deal.