2017 Cyclone 4114 broken axle mounts

Davesig

I've had two axle mounts break on the rear axle of my triple axle toyhauler. I'm not over loaded as I only have one harley and two chairs in the garage. The issue seems to be that the hangers are 5 inches long v. a normal 2-3 inch bracket. The first one broke on one side and I was able to get it to a shop to get it replaced. This second one left me stranded in a rest area on I40 since both sides of the bracket snapped off. No one has hanger brackets this long so they have to order from lippert (Cyclone frame manufacturer). Has anyone else had issues like this?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Could you please add some pictures so we can see the failure. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common. Not really sure why your hangers are so long but we are seeing a lot more of this. I hope Lippert considers a newer design to strengthen these hangers. You might want to consider looking into the MorRyde X-Factor reinforcement.
Good luck,
Mark

mlpeloquin

We sure have and have a Big Horn. One broke on the drivers side in the spring going to the rally in Kennewick Washington. Stuck in the middle between Sacramento and Redding California in May. All that could be found was a big rig mobile repair. He thought he was a welder, but blew a lot of metal with over current and just managed to tack it together. Cancelled the entire trip. Just made it home before it ripped off again. I went to a welding shop that works on trailers with a certified welder. He welded it back together and tied the front and rear hangers together. Fast forward to four weeks ago in New York. I inspected the welds when we got to our RV park. The other side had broken. After one day of searching all welding shops and mobile welders were booked for more than two weeks. Lucky to have a great neighbor that had work done on his class A. He call the shop that did the work for him and we sent him pictures. Only ten miles away. He works on big rigs, trailers, and cars. He welded it back together. So far all has held up. Both welding shops that work on trailers stated that the spring hangers are to light for the weight that is put on them.

Heartland specifies the frame and all, Lippert builds it for Heartland. Heartland will say it is Lipperts frame and Lippert says it is built to Heartland specifications. Go figure. I will get new hangers when we get back to California.

wdk450

I would SERIOUSLY think about contacting MorRyde about an independent suspension upgrade with a beefed up frame box, no more leaf springs, shackles, equalizers or bushings. MorRyde does its installations exclusively at their facility in Elkhart, Indiana. This is something you might want to have done while you are on the Eastern half of the U.S.
http://www.morryde.com/products/87-independent-suspension-system

rocrider50

You can search for my thread on the same subject. Found a semi frame shop that welded it up to the "Dexter Axle" repair procedure for Lippert frames. I can't make this stuff up. It's a known problem and Lippert was quick to pay the bill. ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Davesig

Could you please add some pictures so we can see the failure. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common. Not really sure why your hangers are so long but we are seeing a lot more of this. I hope Lippert considers a newer design to strengthen these hangers. You might want to consider looking into the MorRyde X-Factor reinforcement.
Good luck,
Mark

Sorry for the delay in the pictures. I'm new on the forum and the system wouldn't allow me to post pictures until after I have posted a few times.
20181017_132353.jpg20181017_132618.jpg20181018_105312.jpg

Attachments

• 20181017_143122.jpg
    20181017_143122.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 161

jbeletti

Wow - that's some nasty tears. Metal shear due to forces?

Mark - they are long like that to accommodate the Correct Track. I don't believe we're installing Correct Track on any units these days. I agree that a strength member from bracket to bracket across the coach would be beneficial.

Atvmos

I have a 2017 Cyclone 4100 and my axle bracket broke in my driveway
before our last trip last season. I had lippert overnight me 4 sets of hangers. What a almost disaster. I will
be inspecting the other 5 this spring very closely

Attachments

• 22CAA5C2-F445-4A06-9BBC-8D4779AF77B4.jpg
    22CAA5C2-F445-4A06-9BBC-8D4779AF77B4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 118
  • B2E63D80-7B5A-4268-A2AC-D1BEDCEB65FC.jpg
    B2E63D80-7B5A-4268-A2AC-D1BEDCEB65FC.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 79FBFF2A-DEDA-412E-B169-D4C5B0DC7358.jpg
    79FBFF2A-DEDA-412E-B169-D4C5B0DC7358.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 109

mlpeloquin

If you notice that that the inside of the hangers are 90 degrees or almost. They should have a radios to them as they are on the Lippert web page.
https://store.lci1.com/axle-hanger-various-sizes-axle-hanger.html

Both my rear ones have sheared and I looked at the fronts and they do not have a radios. They are a perfect 90 degree. That side stress on a straight 90 degree will make stress cracking easier. That maybe the reason some are breaking and others are not.

CDN

B and B
If you notice that that the inside of the hangers are 90 degrees or almost. They should have a radios to them as they are on the Lippert web page.
https://store.lci1.com/axle-hanger-various-sizes-axle-hanger.html

Both my rear ones have sheared and I looked at the fronts and they do not have a radios. They are a perfect 90 degree. That side stress on a straight 90 degree will make stress cracking easier. That maybe the reason some are breaking and others are not.

I have been following these breaking hangers for a while.

I think you might be onto something here. If the steel is too hard it won't flex and break at the 90 degree bend.

jimpav

I noticed a weld broke on my curb side wheel as well. I was going to use my trusty MIG wire fed welder, but may not get the penetration needed. I'll see if Taylor rental can rent me a 110 v AC stick welder. Plan to pick up some E6010 weld wire to do the job. The big question I have is that after the weld job, did anyone get their axels realigned as I doubt I'll be able to get the hanger back in the exact position?????

danemayer

I noticed a weld broke on my curb side wheel as well. I was going to use my trusty MIG wire fed welder, but may not get the penetration needed. I'll see if Taylor rental can rent me a 110 v AC stick welder. Plan to pick up some E6010 weld wire to do the job. The big question I have is that after the weld job, did anyone get their axels realigned as I doubt I'll be able to get the hanger back in the exact position?????
There's no front-to-rear alignment unless you have CorrectTrack. The CorrectTrack cam adjusts in 1/4" increments. I don't know much about welding, but if you mark the position and clamp the new bracket in place, I'd guess you could stay within 1/4".

mlpeloquin

The first welder, who did the job properly, had to measure using the opposite side for position and a square for alignment. The second did not have to. The first welder cross tied each side together with angle iron. All that had to be done is pull the spring, witch the two sides of the hanger were still attached, back into position and had me lower the fifth wheel back down. This was done after he finished grinding the surfaces clean. The first wilder used MIG with flux core and the second used Argon gas. Both look the same. I an still going to get an alignment within the next few weeks though. So it would not be a bad idea to have it checked.

jimpav

Just wondering, being proactive, by getting angle iron etc welded to the hangers etc. before they brake, Will this void any warranty on a new 2019 unit?
Hate to wait for them to brake in the middle of nowhere, if I’m even lucky enough to notice it before damage is done. I don’t carry a portable welding machine with me.......... yes, I’m getting an x- factor brace installed at the National, along with wet bolts, disc brakes etc, but my local weld shop guy has repaired dozens of broken campers, and has figured out the right way to reinforce everything using the proper material and thickness to give reasonable assurance that everything will hold together on our great Highway system..........

wdk450

Axle/wheel alignments on tube axle trailers is mainly done by bending the tubes using an air/hydraulic bottle jack with a pair of heavy steel arms that hang over the axles, and a horizontal bar that runs between slots in the arms. This sort of makes a "U" shape that hangs on the axle tube, and the air/hydraulic jack is fit in the middle of the "U" with the jack head contacting the axle. A laser alignment reflective fixture is attached to the wheels, and the transmitted laser beam is sent out from the analyzer, reflected off the wheels, and received on the analyzer laser receivers. The computerized alignment system then reads out the wheel angles. The air jack setup can be moved to the precise location and angle (within an 180 degree front to back arc) and pumped up to bend the axle tube near each wheel until the computer displays the correct angle (usually in green when within the accepted angles).

I have had this done on my rig by an experienced truck alignment technician using Bear brand equipment.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, I've had 2" square tube welded between my spring hangers.
This was done per Lipperts recommendation so I doubt that welding the extra structure would void your warranty. In fact they offered to do it for me.
I would call Lippert and check with them.

Peace
Dave

jimpav

Thanks Dave.......I'll look under yours at the National.
Sad that we all should/need to do these "enhancements", but that, among other "improvements" were what I budgeted for when I picked out this level of trailer. It seems even on the high end/6 figure units you need to do almost the same things to "assure" not only the integrity of the trailer, but more importantly, yours and other's safety on the road.

WillyBill

IMHO...If the hangers were fabricated by welding versus bending on a sheet metal brake the problem would not exist. As tight as the radius is that they are bending these brackets at, there is no way for them to retain the original strength of the base metal based on thickness - they are exceeding the nominal bend radius. There is a reason that this type of bracket is normally of welded construction on heavy duty suspensions.

Anybody want to start a new business? It'll keep us out of trouble!

WB

mlpeloquin

I think that the hangers are punched and stamped not bent on a brake. I purchased two new ones from Lippert and now carry them in the truck. To order them, I had to provide the serial number of the frame to Lippert's engineering department to get the part number. It is not available on the Lippert web page for purchase. The new hangers have the radius in the bend. My front ones do not and I don't think the rears had a radius in the bend. Perhaps a bad lot? Stranger thing have happened.