Critters other than cats and dogs

Collyla

Hi all! We're going to be buying our rv in the next few weeks, and have some slightly more unusual pets on top of our 2 dogs. So I wondered....does anybody travel with small, caged pets? We have guinea pigs and a couple of fancy rats (we're getting a Trail Runner 33IKBS and are converting the top bunks in the bunk room into small critter space).

I'm thinking this will be a regular blasty blast haha.

Fox

Excuse my ignorance - but why would you want to drag caged critters thru this experience?
These (chained) Hurricane M. evacuees traveled with us last week.

Do (un-caged) grand-kids count?

Attachments

• 20181010_103603.jpg
    20181010_103603.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 52

Collyla

Excuse my ignorance - but why would you want to drag caged critters thru this experience?
These (chained) Hurricane M. evacuees traveled with us last week.

Do (un-caged) grand-kids count?

The same reasons people bring cats and dogs. Because we already have them, they're our pets, and they bond to their owners.

danemayer

You should keep the cages inside the tow vehicle with you while traveling and move them to the RV after setting up.

olcoon

We've seen some unusual pets on the road. I think the oddest is a goat! They were in a converted school bus and when he converted it he built a "stable" in the rear for the goat. They also had dogs & cats. Can't imagine the smell inside it!!!

Collyla

We've seen some unusual pets on the road. I think the oddest is a goat! They were in a converted school bus and when he converted it he built a "stable" in the rear for the goat. They also had dogs & cats. Can't imagine the smell inside it!!!
They must have had to clean a lot.

Fox

Last May we ran into this lady. Her friendly pet jumped up on me, then pooped on me (3X), then bit me.
I was OK with it up to the bite.

Attachments

• 20180513_101656.jpg
    20180513_101656.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 63

Mrsfish

One of our former members of the AZ chapter had sugar gliders. Took them with them everytime e they traveled. Could not figure out why since they’re nocturnal and always caged..but they never asked me...

jimtoo

Saw some folks 5 years or so back that had a pig, the small ones that got popular a few years back as pets. They took it everywhere with them, they were full timers. They said it was easier to take care of than a cat or dog and cleaner also, said it loved water and baths. It was house broke, would retrieve, set when told and walk on a leash. They did need a ramp for it to get in and out because it weighed about 60-70lbs and had short legs.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have met many folks who bring all sorts of animals with them. From Lemurs to ferrets to birds. One things in common is that most admit that they didn't really know how bad their animals smelled until they moved them into such a small enclosed space. I think that would be the worst part of it except for maybe the animals are not able to say if they even like what you are doing to them. We also ran across some folks with 7 cats in a toy hauler last year. The cat box stench out of that rig when we walked by was overwhelming. I guess it all boils down to what you are willing to put up with and the justifications to do it. Safe travels and congrats on your new rig.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
There were some folks that had a huge pig living in their fifth wheel at Buckhorn in Kerrville a few years ago. I remember how loud that thing could get when they had to doctor him.

jimtoo

There were some folks that had a huge pig living in their fifth wheel at Buckhorn in Kerrville a few years ago. I remember how loud that thing could get when they had to doctor him.

I remember that one also. It was big.