Poor quality circuit breakers

danemayer

Simple question on replacing the 50 amp breaker to the Hydraulic Pump. Original breaker did not have a manual reset on the side. I replaced with a manual reset breaker a few months ago from my extra breakers. Is there a reason one should have a manual reset over an auto reset? My guess would be the auto reset would be the way to go on the hydraulic pump connection but wanted to know your opinions on this. Looked through the owners guide and it did not mention one preference over the other. Want to order some more so will wait until I get your responses. Thanks.

Having a manual reset breaker on the hydraulics would be pretty inconvenient. If it ever tripped, you'd have to go into the front compartment and manually reset. An automatic reset avoids that inconvenience.

That leads to the question of why there is a manual reset breaker between battery and Power Converter. My guess is that it's because that's the only circuit that's energized continuously, without user involvement. On other circuits, you have to press a button to energize. If something wonky happens, you let go of the button. On the Power Converter circuit, if something goes wonky, you might not be around to take action. So it trips and waits for you to reset it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Having a manual reset breaker on the hydraulics would be pretty inconvenient. If it ever tripped, you'd have to go into the front compartment and manually reset. An automatic reset avoids that inconvenience.

That leads to the question of why there is a manual reset breaker between battery and Power Converter. My guess is that it's because that's the only circuit that's energized continuously, without user involvement. On other circuits, you have to press a button to energize. If something wonky happens, you let go of the button. On the Power Converter circuit, if something goes wonky, you might not be around to take action. So it trips and waits for you to reset it.
Once again the perfect answer Dan :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Does all of the above info apply to 12 VDC circuit breakers (involved in this topic), as well as 120 volt AC breakers?
i
Yes within designed spec. The one I posted is standard design and not hot wire and is good for 6A up to 30V, DC; 3.5A at 120V, 400Hz, AC. Good for 5000 cycles unless used with inductive loads which is 2500 cycles. This is a MIL Spec designed breaker, but all breakers work on the same basic design. Commercial breaker manufactures do not post their specifications. They do not seem to be as well designed or have as good QC as MIL Spec breakers. Thus the cost for a commercial breaker is cheep. The principle is the same.