Winter camping

shevy

This has been my first year camping and will be hauling my camper (Northtrail buds 33) to my deer lease in November. Can anyone give me tips on keeping the camper warm and the pipes from freezing during my hunt? Also, I will be leaving it unattended for a few days during the season so suggestions on what to do to keep it ok while I’m gone.

Thx

danemayer

Hi shevy,

We have an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that will help you keep the water running.

The tips and techniques in that guide pretty much assume you have shore power available. If you don't, your battery just won't provide enough power to run the furnace, lights, refrigerator, water heater, and other things for very long.

Holding tanks can be a problem. If temps are just a little below freezing, running the furnace should blow enough warm air into the underbelly to keep the holding tanks from freezing. But if temperatures are a lot below freezing, you really need tank heating pads.

Leaving the rig for a few days can be problematic. You'll have to leave the furnace running with the thermostat at a high enough setting to keep everything from freezing. But that implies 1) that you'll have enough propane and 2) that there are no glitches while you're away.

shevy

Hi shevy,

We have an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that will help you keep the water running.

The tips and techniques in that guide pretty much assume you have shore power available. If you don't, your battery just won't provide enough power to run the furnace, lights, refrigerator, water heater, and other things for very long.

Holding tanks can be a problem. If temps are just a little below freezing, running the furnace should blow enough warm air into the underbelly to keep the holding tanks from freezing. But if temperatures are a lot below freezing, you really need tank heating pads.

Leaving the rig for a few days can be problematic. You'll have to leave the furnace running with the thermostat at a high enough setting to keep everything from freezing. But that implies 1) that you'll have enough propane and 2) that there are no glitches while you're away.

Great feedback. I think with two propane tanks I can leave it for a few days.

sengli

We have gone dry camping, its where you winterize everything and not use water in the plumbing runs.

shevy

We have gone dry camping, its where you winterize everything and not use water in the plumbing runs.

Thx for the input. I gotta have running water and have enough propane to run the furnace for several days. I also have a solar panel to keep the batteries charged. I’ve seen videos of what to use to put around the rv for skirting such as straw bales and tarps which have been helpful. I only need the camper to be functionfor two weeks during deer season. In Indiana the weather is a crap shoot.

Lynn1130

Check the threads right below this one in the area that says "similar threads" this is a well discussed topic that has a number of suggestions to help you. As to two propane tanks getting you through. That will work if the temps do not get too low and depending upon your thermostat setting. A cold snap and you can return to some frozen water lines. If you are staying in one location for some time a 100 lb tank will last longer and allow a few more days if you are absent.

eddylives

Assuming your furnace is 40 000btu you can expect aprox 32 hours of run time off of two 30 lb bottles (less time if running other propane appliances)
Now how fast you run the clock out will be determined by the outdoor temperature ,wind, heat loss and temperature the trailer is set to etc.
This is something that can be hard to calculate lol

cjb2283

I have a 32DBSS and have been all the way down to 10* at night during last years hunting trip. Then it would warm up into the 40*s during the day. My 30# bottle would last about 4 days. My issue was my batteries. Running the furnace at night sucks them down, had to run the generator every 2-3 nights. I kept my furnace, water heater and fridge on the entire time. Heat set to keep the interior at about 65-68*. Leaving the water heater on heats the cabinets where most of your plumbing is. Make sure your solar system does a good job of replenishing your batteries everyday so you wont have to worry while away. Watch the weather, that will obviously effect solar output. I never froze up anything but the water was pretty cold. I do not have heat blankets on my tanks. Only skirting I did was coolers and gas cans. 11 days, average night temp was 18*, day probably mid 40*s. Mostly sunny days and clear evenings with a couple snow flurries over night. This year was way warmer and not worth reporting, except I bagged a buck finally. Let me know if you have any questions.