Winterize

bishgeo

Aparently the 3965dss only has one low point drain and that’s for fresh water. I’m used to 3 low point drains for hot cold and fresh. Has command center with Anderson valve. How does this set up work. Need to winterize an ice maker and a washer this year.

danemayer

Aparently the 3965dss only has one low point drain and that’s for fresh water. I’m used to 3 low point drains for hot cold and fresh. Has command center with Anderson valve. How does this set up work. Need to winterize an ice maker and a washer this year.
Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country do not have the low point drains found on other models. They are more geared toward full time usage, including cold weather usage. The low point drains are subject to freezing where the ice can wick up into the tee, blocking the water lines.

Refer to our Winterization user guide. If you have a Residential Refrigerator, see the instructions in the Residential Refrigerator guide.

- - - Updated - - -

I've combined your 3 winterizing questions into a single thread.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Like Dan says follow the winterizing instructions on the site. In a nutshell, I use an air blow down adapter( Camco Blow Out Plug With Brass Quick Connect-Aids In Removal of Water From Water Lines (36143) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XL2IEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gLJZBbF4BGNAF)
to first blow out the plumbing with the anderson valve set to "city". Regulate the air pressure to 40 psi or less.

Once the entire system including frige is
blown out, I close the valve that feeds the icemaker in the frige, and then run enough rv antifreeze into the system to fill the pump using the "winterize" position on the anderson valve. Make sure you don't forget to turn the water heater isolation valve to "bypass" before starting the winterizing. Pull the anode out and flip the pressure relief valve to vent the water heater. Use caution if the heater has been on, there will be hot water!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
What about the items inside the coach and in the basement? What items are safe to leave in the coach? Last year we took out everything, soaps, caulks, lube sprays, etc. Is there anything we could leave, or is it best to empty it all out? My rule of thumb, if it's liquid, take it out; if it's solid it should be OK. Does that work?

NYSUPstater

I take out all liquids, some clothes/blankets, pillows. I have never tried the air method as it looks like you need 2 people and never have the 2nd one around so end up switching valve at DC to "Winterize", flip up the by pass valve for water heater (which is already drained), attach a cut off section of hose and stick it into antifreeze jug and go inside/switch on water pump and then proceed to open all valves starting w/ kitchen. Sadly, I do get water @ 1st, then the antifreeze. However, when I'm all done inside.....oh BTW, I have to make several trips to DC to switch out anti freeze jugs (turn pump off each time), can't forget the outside shower (didn't want it, but came w/ it). Left over anti-freeze and perhaps another new bottle come inside and I then add/pour more anti-freeze down the kitchen/bath and toilet drains. Although the coach is stored indoors and may not really get below freezing, have not had a problem w/ this method. My thinking on adding add'l ant-freeze to drains is to add/dilute any water that got put down drain 1st as I cannot drain it out the dump pipe in driveway and any seepage past valves gets some protection as well.

Also, I was blown away to learn I had no low drain points 1st time I winterized. Freaky!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I take out all liquids, some clothes/blankets, pillows. I have never tried the air method as it looks like you need 2 people and never have the 2nd one around so end up switching valve at DC to "Winterize", flip up the by pass valve for water heater (which is already drained), attach a cut off section of hose and stick it into antifreeze jug and go inside/switch on water pump and then proceed to open all valves starting w/ kitchen. Sadly, I do get water @ 1st, then the antifreeze. However, when I'm all done inside.....oh BTW, I have to make several trips to DC to switch out anti freeze jugs (turn pump off each time), can't forget the outside shower (didn't want it, but came w/ it). Left over anti-freeze and perhaps another new bottle come inside and I then add/pour more anti-freeze down the kitchen/bath and toilet drains. Although the coach is stored indoors and may not really get below freezing, have not had a problem w/ this method. My thinking on adding add'l ant-freeze to drains is to add/dilute any water that got put down drain 1st as I cannot drain it out the dump pipe in driveway and any seepage past valves gets some protection as well.

Also, I was blown away to learn I had no low drain points 1st time I winterized. Freaky!

Why two people for the air blow-out? I do it myself (don't have an Anderson valve, if that matters) by setting the compressor to about 40 psi and then going inside to open hot and cold faucets and then the low point drains. Once the faucet stops "misting," I move on to the next faucet. Then I pump in the antifreeze, again opening each faucet in turn, as well as flushing the toilet. Doing the washing machine requires that it be run while pumping antifreeze via the water pump. It cannot be cleared with air pressure.

Referring back to the original question about winterizing a washer, find the manufacturer's instructions and follow them. Most likely, the machine will need to be operated in order to get antifreeze into it. Do not take shortcuts with it or you will regret it. DAMHIKT. :(

NYSUPstater

JohnDar

The air attachment I have that connects to the water side of things is 1 thing. The problem on the other end is I don't have a locking air chuck to attach to the air blow out. Simple enough to get, I just don't have it. So that's where I said it looks like a 2 person job. So that being said, what do you have that allows you to attach the air hose to the air/water plug?

JohnDar

JohnDar

The air attachment I have that connects to the water side of things is 1 thing. The problem on the other end is I don't have a locking air chuck to attach to the air blow out. Simple enough to get, I just don't have it. So that's where I said it looks like a 2 person job. So that being said, what do you have that allows you to attach the air hose to the air/water plug?

I bought one of these adapters several years ago. Connects to the city water inlet, is labelled "Do Not Exceed 45 psi.," and has the air chuck fitting on the end. I'm guessing you are using the other adapter that is just an air valve stem mounted to a threaded insert (I bought one first, by mistake). I don't recall if I got it from Camping World or through Amazon, but it makes it simple to blow out the plumbing.

OK, here it is on Amazon. If you look around, you will see they also have the simpler fitting with an air chuck on it, rather than a valve stem.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056X3K0...&pd_rd_r=e164b1bd-d7c2-11e8-b1e4-5f3ea650bb69

Attachments

• Air Adapter.JPG
    Air Adapter.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 33

bishgeo

Ready for winter I think.

Pumped 10 gallon of antifreeze thru this thing including washer and fridge. How much water does the fridge hold. And yes the customer service rep at heartland said run antifreeze thru ice maker till you get pink ice. Fisrt year with this unit. 😳is like to meet the idio that thought it was a grest idea to put All the switches behind a door that opens into the door way. Tired of hitting my head. 😡

Attachments

• 41227CA5-B458-4BD6-9F46-7F63A811929D.jpg
    41227CA5-B458-4BD6-9F46-7F63A811929D.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 35

JohnDar

That's the same...but different than the link in post #6.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back when I was getting mine, they either didn't have the small one with the air chuck fitting, or I just didn't see it. And now they have the hose type with a valve on it, too.

sengli

Re: Ready for winter I think

10 gallons! Wow our rig usually uses approximately 3 gallons to do the job. I will admit I did remove the whole house filter assembly, and the ice maker.

danemayer

Re: Ready for winter I think.

Pumped 10 gallon of antifreeze thru this thing including washer and fridge. How much water does the fridge hold. And yes the customer service rep at heartland said run antifreeze thru ice maker till you get pink ice.

Hi bishgeo,

In the future, despite what customer service told you, you may want to use compressed air to winterize the refrigerator. Antifreeze can get messy in some refrigerators. And if yours is a residential refrigerator, you may have just filled the water filter, chill coil, and all of the internal water feed lines with antifreeze.

When you de-winterize, you may have to run quite a bit of water through those lines to eliminate any residual taste left over from the antifreeze.

Instructions for compressed air are in the documents referenced in post #5.

Mark-Roberta 051995

Hi bishgeo,

In the future, despite what customer service told you, you may want to use compressed air to winterize the refrigerator. Antifreeze can get messy in some refrigerators. And if yours is a residential refrigerator, you may have just filled the water filter, chill coil, and all of the internal water feed lines with antifreeze.

When you de-winterize, you may have to run quite a bit of water through those lines to eliminate any residual taste left over from the antifreeze.

Instructions for compressed air are in the documents referenced in post #5.

OH BOY - I know what you mean since this is my first year doing the residential fridge. I winterized everything with about 3 gallons of the pink stuff, including the washing machine. I removed the fridge filter and ran the water dispenser in the door - WRONG THING TO DO - got pink stuff everywhere. I thought that was a good thing as I now have pink stuff to the fridge. I checked the lines behind the fridge - it was pink and then check the line under the slide - it also was pink. I then had to put the fridge filter back in and so I could get the pink stuff coming our of the door water dispenser. Well - I must be doing something wrong as I got 15 glasses (12 oz.) of water out of the dispenser and still no pink stuff. My Anderson valve sucked in the last 1 gallon jug I had left. I am now not getting any water or pink stuff out of the water dispenser.

What is next thing to do? More pink stuff since I am committed to doing the fridge with antifreeze? Next year I will be blowing this thing out for sure but since I am already there this year what do I need to do to finalize this?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

danemayer

OH BOY - I know what you mean since this is my first year doing the residential fridge. I winterized everything with about 3 gallons of the pink stuff, including the washing machine. I removed the fridge filter and ran the water dispenser in the door - WRONG THING TO DO - got pink stuff everywhere. I thought that was a good thing as I now have pink stuff to the fridge. I checked the lines behind the fridge - it was pink and then check the line under the slide - it also was pink. I then had to put the fridge filter back in and so I could get the pink stuff coming our of the door water dispenser. Well - I must be doing something wrong as I got 15 glasses (12 oz.) of water out of the dispenser and still no pink stuff. My Anderson valve sucked in the last 1 gallon jug I had left. I am now not getting any water or pink stuff out of the water dispenser.

What is next thing to do? More pink stuff since I am committed to doing the fridge with antifreeze? Next year I will be blowing this thing out for sure but since I am already there this year what do I need to do to finalize this?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I just keep my ice maker water feed line closed all the time and I still used 5 gallons of antifreeze including doing the washer, the outside shower and the black tank flush.

The refrigerator has a water chill coil, but I don't think it holds more than a quart. You've gotten quite a bit more than that. But maybe you're near the end of the water. I'd try another gallon or two of antifreeze.

Or, if you close the cutoff valve under the kitchen island, you can still use compressed air to blow out the ice maker feed line and refrigerator. But you'd need a different adapter if you're connecting to the ice maker feed line under the island.

JohnDar

No ice maker, but we do have a combo washing machine. It takes about 6 gallons to do mine. Don't forget to put some in the toilet bowl after you've run it through the flush lines.

Mark-Roberta 051995

Quick update. I went and got 2 more gallons and proceeded to continue with the water dispenser in the fridge - after 3/4 of a gallon later it was still dispersing clear water. I stopped and went out and looked at things along with scratching my head about all of this.

Line 1 - incoming from pump = pink
Line 2 - out going to water filter in fridge = pink
Water filter = pink
Line 3 - coming from filter = pink
Line 4 - going to water dispenser = clear

I disconnected the water line at the water dispenser under the fridge (front fascia) and then disconnected the water valve inlet lines. Did I mention that the water lines going to the water inlet valve have a plastic sleeve that holds them in place need to be "pushed in" vs. pushed out to release??? So I have to order a new one - duh. I left the lines disconnected until I figure this out. I may just go get my air compressor, undo what I have started and blow everything out. I just want to understand where all of this clear water is coming from.

Anyways - that is my rant for the day. I shall prevail