Axle Alignment NOT covered by warranty?

In August I traveled to a state park in Arkansas. I setup that evening with no issues. The next morning I found the drivers side back tire was flat. On further inspection I noticed the inside of the tire was worn out. I changed the tire (after learning the hard way RV trailers have no lug wrenches or jacks and the auto lug wrench does not fit). After traveling back home, I called Camping World and setup time to bring in to fix this issue and other problems I have found since purchasing the trailer in March 2018. After two months of waiting I called for the 4th time in 2 months and was told by Camping World they had approval for repairs and was waiting for parts to arrive in a week to begin repairs. They also said they located a local shop for me to take the trailer to to get the axle aligned. When I asked if this was covered under warranty I was told NO, this is a maintenance issue and not covered under the full warranty. Needless to say I am not very happy that Heartland is not covering the repair of the Axle and the tire that was destroyed. I only camp at state parks an hour or two away and do not remember ever hitting anything to cause the axle to be out of alignment. It is my contention the axle was out of alignment at purchase either improperly installed or damaged when delivered to the dealer. Please advise why this is not covered under warranty and how to get Heartland to pay for the axle alignment and replace the damaged tire. Thanks for your help! David Wilcox (Heartland Mallard M312)

danemayer

David,

There are a couple of things to understand.

First, the Warranty Statement in your trailer manual includes a warranty statement that contains the specifics on what's covered and what is not covered by warranty. What Camping World says, or what I say, or what anyone else says, if in conflict with the written warranty statement, doesn't count.

Second, the axles are warranted by their manufacturer; either Dexter or Lippert. Axles are not warranted by Heartland. Heartland doesn't align them; they just attach them to the frame. You'll find the same thing applies to the appliances in your RV; they are also warranted by their respective manufacturers, not by the installer.

Third, the Heartland Warranty Statement, under "What is not covered", specifically says: "anything related to wheel or axle alignment". My understanding is this is pretty standard across RV manufacturers.

Fourth, even though you may not remember hitting anything, the most likely explanation is damage due to a road hazard. Perhaps a bridge joint or a curb. I had a similar problem a while back where the axle was bent on one side, probably from a bridge joint on I-10. My axle couldn't be repaired; it had to be replaced. Fortunately I caught it early enough that the tire was still serviceable.

But if you think it was a manufacturing defect, you should contact Dexter or Lippert directly to discuss. There may be a label on the axle, or on the sidewall indicating which company provided the axle. If you can't find that, you can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can tell you.

The discussion with the axle manufacturer might start by asking them how it can be determined whether the problem is due to a manufacturing defect. Perhaps they'll accept expert opinion from the alignment shop. Or perhaps they'll send someone to do an evaluation. Or maybe they'll just say it's not covered. But phone calls don't cost much, so it's worth a try.

BillGott

David,

There are a couple of things to understand.

First, the Warranty Statement in your trailer manual includes a warranty statement that contains the specifics on what's covered and what is not covered by warranty. What Camping World says, or what I say, or what anyone else says, if in conflict with the written warranty statement, doesn't count.

Second, the axles are warranted by their manufacturer; either Dexter or Lippert. Axles are not warranted by Heartland. Heartland doesn't align them; they just attach them to the frame. You'll find the same thing applies to the appliances in your RV; they are also warranted by their respective manufacturers, not by the installer.

Third, the Heartland Warranty Statement, under "What is not covered", specifically says: "anything related to wheel or axle alignment". My understanding is this is pretty standard across RV manufacturers.

Fourth, even though you may not remember hitting anything, the most likely explanation is damage due to a road hazard. Perhaps a bridge joint or a curb. I had a similar problem a while back where the axle was bent on one side, probably from a bridge joint on I-10. My axle couldn't be repaired; it had to be replaced. Fortunately I caught it early enough that the tire was still serviceable.

But if you think it was a manufacturing defect, you should contact Dexter or Lippert directly to discuss. There may be a label on the axle, or on the sidewall indicating which company provided the axle. If you can't find that, you can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can tell you.

The discussion with the axle manufacturer might start by asking them how it can be determined whether the problem is due to a manufacturing defect. Perhaps they'll accept expert opinion from the alignment shop. Or perhaps they'll send someone to do an evaluation. Or maybe they'll just say it's not covered. But phone calls don't cost much, so it's worth a try.

The most important statement made is "they were installed by Heartland". If the axles are supplied by Dexter of Lippert and Heartland installs them on frame they should be responsible for alignment. RV manufacturers need to take responsibility for shoddy work or train their people so these things don't happen. I am going through suspension issues because they chose the cheapest route. I had all my hydraulic lines replaced (tool used to crimp fittings on hydraulic lines was out of adjustment) after a year.... Mistakes are made and the manufacturer needs to make amends.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

The most important statement made is "they were installed by Heartland". If the axles are supplied by Dexter of Lippert and Heartland installs them on frame they should be responsible for alignment. RV manufacturers need to take responsibility for shoddy work or train their people so these things don't happen. I am going through suspension issues because they chose the cheapest route.

Do you think maybe your bad pothole post in 8/2017 had anything to do with your suspension problems?

BillGott

That was when we lost the drivers side rear most spring bolt. I did not find it until a few weeks later when greasing wet bolts for next trip. At that time everything looked normal but I noticed what I thought was some minor tire wear on the inside of 2 of the tires. 6,000 miles after it was severe wear. Leading to my other post.

Update: after three months at Camping World of Tyler, the techs have decided it is the wheel bearings causing the problem. The bearings were completely destroyed. Should be covered by warranty, I will find out next week. Really disappointed with the time it took to find the problem. I am tent camping Thanksgiving week in cold weather. Not my original plan but making the best of it. Will give another update as I learn more.

danemayer

Update: after three months at Camping World of Tyler, the techs have decided it is the wheel bearings causing the problem. The bearings were completely destroyed. Should be covered by warranty, I will find out next week. Really disappointed with the time it took to find the problem. I am tent camping Thanksgiving week in cold weather. Not my original plan but making the best of it. Will give another update as I learn more.

So are you saying that this wan't an axle alignment issue - but rather just a bearing problem?

So are you saying that this wan't an axle alignment issue - but rather just a bearing problem?

Well, that was the latest diagnosis from the dealer last Friday. I am not sure. To me the problem wheel has a slight lean compared to other tire next to it on front axle. But apparently bad wheel bearings can cause an issue. Will update when I have definitive answers.

wdk450

Based on your pothole history, I feel you STILL need to have your wheel alignment tested/corrected. Bite the bullet and contact a truck wheel alignment business in your area. This is a maintenance item on the system that supports your entire towable RV that most all owners neglect. It should be less than $500.