Looking for a new 'fixed' solar system

Fox

I'm being forced to move/ park my fifth off-site and my best/ closest choice of secure parking places doesn't have a power source (nor any protective sun covers). While I'm not happy it is what it is, at least for awhile.

As we only visit campgrounds with full connections I'm only needing a solar system to keep the batteries topped off between trips (so I can operate the jacks). I expect portables would grow legs so I won't even consider them (even though I am pre-wired for such a system).

Today I spoke with my RV dealers parts division; surprisingly they didn't impress me with their knowledge base on this subject. I made an appointment several weeks out to bring my 5vr in so they can better ascertain what I have (then get on the phone and educate themselves) and what I need.

In the meantime I wish to pick y'alls brains. Will 150W solar power keep the battery charged? What kind of prices (hardware and labor) is normal? My uneducated guess is perhaps $1000 for a dealer installation.

I expect this park place will provide (on average) good sun-light several winter days week, more in the summer. Perhaps an occasional bad week but not normally.
Once again, we won't be dry camping and depending on it, we just need to keep the battery charged.

One exception - when the original battery goes bad I'll likely change over to two batteries; but not those $800 (each) ones - just some mid-priced batteries - so a solar system keeping that in mind would long term be beneficial.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

fritzwell

Why not take the battery out, take it home with you and put it on a trickle charger? Then reinstall when your ready to go camping.

LBR

100 watt solar kit from Harbor Freight is about $150 and enough to keep your battery charged while not staying in it. Lay the panel and controller flat on the roof so they won't grow legs....hook output wire to battery.

wdk450

100 watt solar kit from Harbor Freight is about $150 and enough to keep your battery charged while not staying in it. Lay the panel and controller flat on the roof so they won't grow legs....hook output wire to battery.

I agree with LBR, and maybe use white Gorilla tape to temporarily tie down the panel to the roof (to hide it and prevent winds blowing it off) and even tape over the wire going up to the roof on the outside of the trailer to make it pretty much invisible.

Question: Is snow or leaf accumulation over the solar panel a concern? If so, you may want to prop the panel up to the recommended optimum maximum solar reception angle and temporarily tie it down.

dave10a

In the meantime I wish to pick y'alls brains. Will 150W solar power keep the battery charged? What kind of prices (hardware and labor) is normal? My uneducated guess is perhaps $1000 for a dealer installation.

Thank you in advance.

A 150 watt solar panel is over-kill if all you want is to keep your batteries maintained if they are at full charge to begin with. A 2-5 watt panel will keep two healthy batteries maintained to proper charge. Also a 2-5 watt panel can be connect directly to the battery without a charger and will not overcharge.

Fox

Yesterday I called another supplier. The guy I needed to talk to never called me back.

Years ago I had a small camper, it had a solar panel maybe 1'x3', it kept my small battery fresh; not knowing its specs I just figured to go with something physically a bit larger (for two batteries).

LBR

Yesterday I called another supplier. The guy I needed to talk to never called me back.

Years ago I had a small camper, it had a solar panel maybe 1'x3', it kept my small battery fresh; not knowing its specs I just figured to go with something physically a bit larger (for two batteries).

Here is a picture of my cheapie, and temporary, Harbor Freight 200 watt system...8 panels with each one @ 25 watts...you could use 1 panel and store the other 3. Each panel is 14" x 39".
77dc77f25ca8a608df138ee6889682d5.jpg

carl.swoyer

Here is a picture of my cheapie, and temporary, Harbor Freight 200 watt system...8 panels with each one @ 25 watts...you could use 1 panel and store the other 3. Each panel is 14" x 39".
77dc77f25ca8a608df138ee6889682d5.jpg
I found this place to have the greatest selection and price.
Sun Electronics, ask for Pierre (305) 536-9917 location
511 N.E. 15 Street
Miami, Fl 33132

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

esscobra

do you have the residential fridge? if so are you expecting to have it running? do you have the rear camera installed? this and the propane and a few other things do use power and an run down your battery after a few days of no sun - there are lots of reasonable options for panels that you could easily mount to your rear ladder and then run cable t pre wired port- without much installation, and I would recommend usig the power cutoff to prevent drain on batteries