Looking for some kind of hoist or jack to remove 5th wheel hitch from truck

SLO

My basic Reese 16K comes apart into two sections and I use a bowl of Wheaties to lift it in/out of the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowl of Wheaties is a good idea. I use protein powder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jhardin

I use the Harbor Freight electric hoist also. The next one above the $99 one. I lower hitch to a 4 wheel dolly and roll to where ever I want. You will be surprised at the other uses you can use it for. Real handy to lift lawnmower to change blades also.

MTPockets

I’m curious why more folks don’t just leave the hitch hanging from the pin box. It’s easy to simply disconnect from the truck, raise the fifth wheel nose, drive away. Reverse process to install back in bed of truck. The hitch is stored out of the way, no extra equipment to purchase.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I’m curious why more folks don’t just leave the hitch hanging from the pin box. It’s easy to simply disconnect from the truck, raise the fifth wheel nose, drive away. Reverse process to install back in bed of truck. The hitch is stored out of the way, no extra equipment to purchase.

If y’all had a nice flat level concrete pad for the camper when you back under the pin, maybe.
But if you can align the hitch so it drops down on 4 1” pins all by yourself without a bunch of b....ing, you’re a better man than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

That exactly how I store my hitch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

Two different hitches so far over 250 pounds. SuperGlide and trailer saver. Both hitches require coming out of the mounts perfectly straight - even side to side and front to back. Same with going back in.
Once out of the truck hanging on the pin very difficult to get it back in the truck.

Did it twice and then switched to a hoist of some sort.

carl.swoyer

Two different hitches so far over 250 pounds. SuperGlide and trailer saver. Both hitches require coming out of the mounts perfectly straight - even side to side and front to back. Same with going back in.
Once out of the truck hanging on the pin very difficult to get it back in the truck.

Why not try it. ? Disconnect,Pull your pins, hook up again and lift the hitch straight up with the front legs. When you get ready to go raise the front legs back under slowly lower the hitch. The pull out the handle and drop it in place. Maybe a tweaking but it works.

porthole

Retired

Why not try it. ? Disconnect,Pull your pins, hook up again and lift the hitch straight up with the front legs. When you get ready to go raise the front legs back under slowly lower the hitch. The pull out the handle and drop it in place. Maybe a tweaking but it works.

Me ?

Doesn't work. Once lifted out of the truck the hitch dropped because it is not "weight centered" on the pin. I tried using ratchet straps to level the hitch but it was too much of a pain. Both of my hitches had to be precisely lined up to drop back in the truck. Too much of a pain.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I'm thinking about giving this a try...

No camping plans for awhile so might as well get that 300 pounds outta there!

MTPockets

I'm thinking about giving this a try...

No camping plans for awhile so might as well get that 300 pounds outta there!
John, it works well; I’ve done it several times. As someone indicated, positioning to replace was difficult for them, but after practice, I found that dropping it back as close as you can, then let it rest in place while pulling away with truck. You then have plenty of room to jockey the hitch back into the holes and lock the pucks... I guess if you have plenty of storage space, the other method using a lift works too.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John, it works well; I’ve done it several times. As someone indicated, positioning to replace was difficult for them, but after practice, I found that dropping it back as close as you can, then let it rest in place while pulling away with truck. You then have plenty of room to jockey the hitch back into the holes and lock the pucks... I guess if you have plenty of storage space, the other method using a lift works too.

Store it in the storage lot at the RV resort I live in down in Yuma Arizona...

No more garage to park next to.

Harbor Freight has a folding engine hoist that works very well. I remove my superglide by myself. You need to fabricate a small bracket to connect to the hitch plate that the hoist hook can connect to. You extend the arm over the closed tailgate, lift the hitch clear of its mounting, and back the hoist up and drop the tailgate. When tailgate is down, drive the truck out from under the hitch and then lower onto to a 4 wheel dolly for storage

2014 Bighorn 3010

WBG

WBGavin
Harbor Freight has a folding engine hoist that works very well. I remove my superglide by myself. You need to fabricate a small bracket to connect to the hitch plate that the hoist hook can connect to. You extend the arm over the closed tailgate, lift the hitch clear of its mounting, and back the hoist up and drop the tailgate. When tailgate is down, drive the truck out from under the hitch and then lower onto to a 4 wheel dolly for storage

2014 Bighorn 3010

I do exactly the same thing only I use a tie down strap to wrap under the hitch plate to lift it up/ lower it into place. My hoist is on wheels so I can just back to hoist up after lifting the unit. Works great. Is really useful in placing the hitch because it is all about location, location, location.

WBG

chasdvorak

I go with the Harbor Freight style electric hoist and usually try to make a sling with some latch straps. The problem is that I forget how to sling it most of the time.

I just found this device which uses the locking latch on the 5th wheel to simulate a pin. This will allow me to lift without using a sling and it should be easier to balance while lifting. It is a $50 investment on Amazon but Well worth it in my book.

729b3fd03a2f471b2ead9595f1e01d0c.jpg

Here is an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764CWQG6/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_6HOfCbSDC4NSE