Looking for some kind of hoist or jack to remove 5th wheel hitch from truck

The 5th wheel hitch in my truck is very heavy, so I need some type of hoist or jack to remove it when I am not RVing. I bought a one ton shop crane, but the arm does not extend far enough into the truck bed. Any ideas?

danemayer

Hi DaleMueller,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Can you remove the tailgate to get closer? Or maybe come in from the side?

richheck

Seasoned Member
The 5th wheel hitch in my truck is very heavy, so I need some type of hoist or jack to remove it when I am not RVing. I bought a one ton shop crane, but the arm does not extend far enough into the truck bed. Any ideas?

I purchased some additional steel tubing the same size as the extension part and extended mine to reach.

LBR

Ditch the 1 ton and get a 2 ton engine hoist for very little and extend the arm all the way out. Pull tailgate and it will reach and lift safely.

Fox

Can you bribe your neighbors sons into doing this for you?

That's the biggest reason I recently switched over to the Anderson Ultimate Hitch, 40 pounds.

Attachments

• Anderson.jpg
    Anderson.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 73
  • Lightweight.jpg
    Lightweight.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 85

porthole

Retired

When I was using an engine hoist I did the pick with the tail gate closed. Once free of the mount I rolled the jack back and dropped the tailgate.

- - - Updated - - -

I eventually got tired of dealing with the engine hoist and mounted a small davit and electric winch in the bed of the truck.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...st-for-hitch-removal-hydraulic-crane-winch-et

TedS

I leave the hitch connected to the trailer hitch pin and use the landing legs to lift the hitch. I store the hitch hanging on the trailer pin.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I leave the hitch connected to the trailer hitch pin and use the landing legs to lift the hitch. I store the hitch hanging on the trailer pin.

Dido...

I also mounted this winch in my garage to remove my old Resee hitch among using it for many other things. I also have the portable one.

Five-Oceans-880-LB-Overhead-Electric-Hoist-Crane.jpg

th

Thanks for all the ideas. I like the winch method, which I could mount to rafters in garage. Then I can lower the hitch to a cart with wheels and store in my garage. Since hitch is very heavy, maybe I should mount winch bar over several rafters?

I just bought my Heartland Landmark 2014 last year. This is my first post on this forum and very pleased to see so many people willing to help:eek:

carl.swoyer

Thanks for all the ideas. I like the winch method, which I could mount to rafters in garage. Then I can lower the hitch to a cart with wheels and store in my garage. Since hitch is very heavy, maybe I should mount winch bar over several rafters?

I just bought my Heartland Landmark 2014 last year. This is my first post on this forum and very pleased to see so many people willing to help:eek:
This is an incredible forum!
It's all about you and me and everyone sharing knowledge.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

travis_g

I’m fortunate enough to have a tractor with a front end loader and pallet forks. The BEST way IMHO. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

No complaints here... only pulled the hitch out once to cut 4 puck holes fitting in my new bed mat....stays in all the time otherwise.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
A $20 come-along attached to a 2x4 across several garage roof trusses to distribute the weight lifts mine out of the box. For several months the hitch rests on a dolly for cleaning and maintenance
ffb86922984c04fb8ef795968615b397.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My basic Reese 16K comes apart into two sections and I use a bowl of Wheaties to lift it in/out of the bed.