Lippert box and Morryde Hitch

JBoyerinAbq

I've got a new 19 Ford F450 and a 16 Landmark Newport. While towing the Newport for the first time, I put a decent gouge into our Retrax XR bed rails. I went to a parking lot and did some turn tests. The extreme rear of the Lippert box, where the edges are bent out at 90 degrees, will contact the bedrails in a hard turn.

Looking at the Morryde hitch, it appears I can lower it one bolt setting. There are a total of 10 bolts, 5 each side, two in the front, three in the rear set of holes. If I lower it, it appears I'll need to have 3 bolts in the front holes and 2 in the rear. Does that matter? The on-line Lippert manual mentions nothing. The Morryde manual discusses adjustment, but does not say anything about the bolt configuration. Looking for some inout!

porthole

Retired
The MOR/ryde pinbox should have a decal spec'ing the weight

Something like:
5 bolts each side 20,000 pounds
6 bolts each side 24,000 pounds

JBoyerinAbq

I've seen no such sticker but will look again. I was just wondering if it mattered if there were three bolts forward and two rear or just as long as there are a total of five...

The MOR/ryde pinbox should have a decal spec'ing the weight

Something like:
5 bolts each side 20,000 pounds
6 bolts each side 24,000 pounds

RickL

I've seen no such sticker but will look again. I was just wondering if it mattered if there were three bolts forward and two rear or just as long as there are a total of five...

For what it’s worth, I have a 2018 Oshkosh which I believe is the same GVW as the Newport. I have 5 bolts per side and also no sticker on my morryde hitch other then the one that states it’s a 18,000 hitch.

ksucats

Jeff: When you find out would you be good enough to post the result. I have the same issue but 2017 F450. Have hit the Retrax rails twice so far when making a sharp turn and would like to raise the hitch one 'row' as well. Thanks. Ron

JBoyerinAbq

NOPE! Thanks for sending that however, our Morryde stickers looks nothing like yours and has NO info on bolts.

- - - Updated - - -

Our sticker is the same as yours.

This is what mine looks like.

View attachment 59957

- - - Updated - - -

Ron, After getting back out to the Landmark and studying the hitch some more, I'm afraid I have NO option to move the pinbox at all. The ONLY way to keep all 5 bolts on each side is to leave the pin box in the position it is in now. So Ron, I have no good news for you at all. I'm looking now at potentially replacing the Morryde pin with a TrailAir pin. After taking some measurements, it would lift my Landmark enough to no longer hit the Retrax rails.

I did swap my XR rails for MX rails this week - there are not as tall but not sure I still wont make contact with them in a tight turn.

Jeff: When you find out would you be good enough to post the result. I have the same issue but 2017 F450. Have hit the Retrax rails twice so far when making a sharp turn and would like to raise the hitch one 'row' as well. Thanks. Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

RickL

If you noticed Porthole’s his provides two different capacities, where as ours is strictly an 18,000 lb. So I don’t know if Portholes is an aftermarket whereas ours is OE, or maybe an older version? Bottom line it’s definitely a different Moryde product.

JBoyerinAbq

So, Portholes is part # RPB72-1621SHD. Ours is part number RPB72-1621HD

Morrydes web page leaves much to be desired. Portholes label leads me to wonder if 18K only needs 4 bolts total per side, but so far, I've found nothing. May just need to call them at some point.

If you noticed Porthole’s his provides two different capacities, where as ours is strictly an 18,000 lb. So I don’t know if Portholes is an aftermarket whereas ours is OE, or maybe an older version? Bottom line it’s definitely a different Moryde product.

WillyBill

IMHO - I would replace all factory bolts with grade 8 vs. the grade 5 I found on my Cyclone. Also use Hardened USS washers (the Toothed "Frame" washers are best) and Hardened Metal self-lock nuts (Ovalated).
You will like the Flex Air pin box and the great ride improvement that it provides.

WB

porthole

Retired