Battery not charging during tow

Tree14

Hello all. We have a 2016 Cyclone 4200 and when we are in tow, battery is not charging. My husband checked power from truck to trailer ..all good. Any suggestions..SOS. This is the first leg in our FT adventure.

Thanks for your expertise

Tammie

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

RickL

Hello all. We have a 2016 Cyclone 4200 and when we are in tow, battery is not charging. My husband checked power from truck to trailer ..all good. Any suggestions..SOS. This is the first leg in our FT adventure.

Thanks for your expertise

Tammie

What are you using for a tow vehicle? And when you stated your husband checked power, what power did he check?

Sowie

I also have a 4200. I had a main feed wire from the batteries going to the back of the 12v fuse panel come loose. You might check to make sure the connection is tight. I have also read that depending on tow vehicle that in order to energize the charging wire from the truck you have to squeeze the trailer brake buttons. I have 4ea 6v batteries so I usually don’t have much of a problem while using the fridge inverter for an all day trip. If you still have the 2ea 12v then you may have to run your gen about every 8hrs to help the batteries catch up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tree14

What are you using for a tow vehicle? And when you stated your husband checked power, what power did he check?
Checked for 12 v in harness to camper. Need a wiring diagram for more info. Wiring not too professional.

RickL

Checked for 12 v in harness to camper. Need a wiring diagram for more info. Wiring not too professional.

Just to clarify, are you saying you are checking on the vehicle 7 pin connector? Or what harness are you specifically saying you are checking?

wdk450

Just to verify not charging start by putting a voltmeter on your trailer batteries with the truck umbilical cable disconnected (trailer disconnected from shore AC power). Note the voltage reading. Now connect your umbilical cable to the truck, and start the truck engine. Take another reading at the batteries. If the truck charging circuit is making a complete circuit, the voltage on the batteries should be higher. BTW, just to verify the umbilical ground connection, do your trailer lights work?

I don't know what info you have, so here is an image of the trailer connector wiring: RV 7 Pin Connector.jpg

Tree14

Just to clarify, are you saying you are checking on the vehicle 7 pin connector? Or what harness are you specifically saying you are checking?
Thru the harness to trailer has 12 volts. Haven't tried to wring out trailer wiring,but plan to next week

Tree14

Just to verify not charging start by putting a voltmeter on your trailer batteries with the truck umbilical cable disconnected (trailer disconnected from shore AC power). Note the voltage reading. Now connect your umbilical cable to the truck, and start the truck engine. Take another reading at the batteries. If the truck charging circuit is making a complete circuit, the voltage on the batteries should be higher. BTW, just to verify the umbilical ground connection, do your trailer lights work?

I don't know what info you have, so here is an image of the trailer connector wiring: View attachment 59958
It is higher on shore power but not on truck connection

LBR

Could be a blown fuse for that trailer circuit in the truck itself...check your truck owner's manual for location of fuses, if you have it, specifically for the trailer plug circuits.

RickL

what is the measured voltage at the truck connector (position number 4, or the blade at the 1:00 position)? Then what is the measured voltage at the battery with the trailer NOT plugged into shore power?

Then what is the measured voltage at the battery with the shore plugged in?

Tree14

what is the measured voltage at the truck connector (position number 4, or the blade at the 1:00 position)? Then what is the measured voltage at the battery with the trailer NOT plugged into shore power?

Then what is the measured voltage at the battery with the shore plugged in?
13.8 truck 12.6 trailer

Oldelevatorman

If you’ve got an inverter it’ll take all the power to run the fridge, so none left to charge batts. without some mods., a relay, bigger wire etc.
That is my story and I’m stuck to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aron30

There is usually a 30 amp fuse in the truck's fuse box that is in the circuit that charges the trailer batteries. You may need to consult the truck's owner manual to locate it.

RickL

There is usually a 30 amp fuse in the truck's fuse box that is in the circuit that charges the trailer batteries. You may need to consult the truck's owner manual to locate it.

The OP stated he had 13.8 volts at the truck connector. So the truck part is fine. He’s losing voltage between the truck and the battery.

wdk450

The OP stated he had 13.8 volts at the truck connector. So the truck part is fine. He’s losing voltage between the truck and the battery.

Next step is to verify the voltage with truck engine on at the connection box inside the pinbox assembly. If that voltage is the same as the truck connector voltage, but voltage at the trailer battery is not the same, you need to troubleshoot the red wire from the pinbox connector to the battery positive terminal. To do this disconnect the trailer battery positive connection, disconnect the truck umbilical cable, connect a piece of extension wire to the trailer positive connector long enough to allow you to apply meter leads to the red pinbox charging wire and the extender wire, and measure with an ohmmeter for resistance/continuity. Ideally, you should measure 0 ohms. While you are there you could also check the white ground wire from the pinbox connector to the negative cable on the battery. It should also read 0 ohms.

If the red wire doesn't read 0 ohms, there may be a fuse in the wiring that is blown, or a bad connection.