2019 big country

bishgeo

Can't even remember the name of the Chinese tires on this thing. They are G rated 110# tires. Sidewall says 5 ply. WTH my old E rated tires were 10 ply.

danemayer

Can't even remember the name of the Chinese tires on this thing. They are G rated 110# tires. Sidewall says 5 ply. WTH my old E rated tires were 10 ply.
Ply can be a tricky term these days. Back in the day of bias tires, there were a distinct number of plies. These days, you get a ply rating which is not the actual number of plies. As I recall, G rated tires are 14 ply equivalent, regardless of the actual number of plies used in the construction. E rated tires are 10 ply equivalent.

bishgeo

At least E rated tires say they are 10 ply. And yes they are west lake. Ran bf Goodrich commercial ta's on old rig.

RickL

Plys in terms of tires are a left over comparison from the days they manufactured tires with cotton belts. In today’s world you go by the load range regardless what it states on the sidewall for plys. Load range “G” tires are going to be the equivalent of a 14 ply tire.

Let me give you you a perspective, what is stronger a 30 lb fishing line or 3 10 lb fishing lines. That is how I explained to people why one tire stated a 2 ply sidewall while another tire same size and Load range may have said 3 or 4 ply sidewall. The advantage of the increased sidewall plys would be a little more resistant to sidewall damage such as scuffing or damage by snagging something. The downside could be ride comfort, less overall tire wear mileage. The more plys in a tire typically the more internal heat generation because of the plys rubbing against each other. Number one enemy of a tire is heat.

Bottom line is don’t get hung up on the construction of the tire (in most applications) but be more concerned with the LR. For trailers and most RV applications almost every tire meant for highway use, less aggressive tread design or all season tread design will work great as long as you pay attention to having the correct load range for the application (and as a side note the correct wheel and valve stem).

Seems as if the newest G type tires were WESTLAKE brand.

How are the Westlake tires holding up? We have LR G on our new Big C and noticed they are china tires. I'm all for swapping them out right away if everyone is having issues with them. I think the last Big C had them sailum brand and it was 3 years old when we traded it in, no issues always ran 100 psi.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
How are the Westlake tires holding up? We have LR G on our new Big C and noticed they are china tires. I'm all for swapping them out right away if everyone is having issues with them. I think the last Big C had them sailum brand and it was 3 years old when we traded it in, no issues always ran 100 psi.

Why HL went away from the Sailun is beyond comprehension. We met a couple last month in SD with a brand new BH and they had a Westlake blow out. Did the usual damage.

Dmetcalf

Our 2019 Cyclone 4007 has Sailum tires on it from the factory. The reviews are very good on them from what I have read.