Electric rewind of electric cord

MandA

Last time out my rewind of the electric cable did not want to work. holding the switch I pulled the cable and it started to work but weakly. by the end of the trip it had to be helped to rewind and sometimes it did not work at all. I am looking for suggestions as to where to start looking. switches, motor etc. thanks in advance for any help. by the way this is a 2014 Landmark Key Largo.

jbeletti

If the AC power to the coach works flawlessly and the only issue is spool related (won't reel back up right), then the issue is likely either:
- DC power related or
- Mechanical

Here are a couple of things to check:

1. You may have low DC voltage. Check your battery voltage when disconnected from shore power and after you've retracted your landing gear and leveling legs. Poor DC power was the cause of my last round of power cord issues.

2. You may have a failing DC switch or a poor electrical connection to it.

3. You may have a mechanical issue with the spool drive system. DC power spins a motor. That motor has a sprocket on the shaft. The spool has a shaft with a sprocket on the end of it. A chain wraps around those 2 sprockets so the motor can turn the spool.

On my current coach, I had the original power cord reel cause issues twice. The first time, I was told some pins came out of place at the control end (left) of the spool. The second issue it totally failed but before it did, it was acting erratically. Starting, stopping etc. Then it stopped working altogether.

The fix was to replace the entire reel. Once we had the reel replaced, another Heartlander noticed the sprockets weren't in alignment. I believe it was the spindle on the motor that was sticking out too far. We knocked it back in with a hammer and the thing started working right. It's in my garage on a shelf right now. It might work as a replacement if I ever need it or it might not.

Hope this helps. If this is an issue you feel you are capable of tackling, please indicate so and we can talk you through exposing the control system for inspection and how to remove the reel without removing the j-wrap.

Note: Shoreline Reel is a TRC Company which is owned by Southwire. In the past, I've worked with Steve Guarcello, a Mechanical Engineer in Technical Support. His number is 727-812-0578 and his email is stephen.guarcello@southwire.com